Little hooks on the windshield hinges?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Little hooks on the windshield hinges?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

I'm removing the incorrect upper windshield from my 1915 and installing one of the right size with the correct hinges. I've come across a mystery. I've wondered about this, but never asked.

The bottom screws holding the hinges have these little hooks on them. The square holes lead me to suspect they belong somewhere else. I wonder if somebody can explain what they're for and where they belong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 05:52 pm:

These are hooks for side curtains,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 05:52 pm:

Side curtain hooks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 05:55 pm:

Side curtain hooks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 05:56 pm:

It's a side curtain hook.

I believe those appeared in 1919 when roadsters and tourings could be bought without side lamps.

1915-18 side curtains had straps that you tied around the side lamps and around the strap that holds the first bow to the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 05:58 pm:

OK, so they do belong there. But why the square holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

Steve:

They don't belong on a 1915 Ford.

See my previous post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

If I recall correctly, instead of using that hook, 1915 side curtains have a loop that wraps around the side lights.

Save those hooks for your '23 touring car. The front bolt at the base of the windshield stanchion uses a short hook with the square hole to fit under the head of the carriage bolt, while the round head screw halfway up holds a longer hook. The longer hook also has a square hole, but it really doesn't need it, since the round head screw shank is round.

The vendors carry the short hooks, but the longer hooks with the little "kink" near the tip are hard to find. :-)

pic2

(Message edited by cudaman on May 20, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

Got it. I'll save them for the 23. Thanx all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration