Interesting Story in the Model T Times from Forum Member

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Interesting Story in the Model T Times from Forum Member
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, May 21, 2018 - 07:35 am:

This months Model T Times has a great story from fellow forum member Ed Fuller about his 1913. Well worth the read. It had been in his family since the 50's.

Members should take the time and submit their interesting story to either club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, May 21, 2018 - 08:36 am:

If I could write I probably would, but what my brain thinks and what shows up on paper ain't always the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 21, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

That story is beyond interesting. I know early '14s were still using '13 parts, but this is the earliest '14 I've heard of. The body is clearly a '14, and it's impossible to identify the windshield. My only wish is that I could have been Ed Fuller!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Monday, May 21, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

Thanks for the comments on my story, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

I can't take all of the credit though. Dan and Ellen Killecut encouraged me to write it and Natalie Weaver, the editor for the Model T Times, did a great job of helping put some finishing touches on the article.

Larry, I will try and post some pictures of the windshield for you. I'm no expert, but I think it is a '14 style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Friday, May 25, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

Larry,

This is a list of some of the features on my grandfather's T:

-E&J 66 Headlights
-JNO Brown side and tail lamps
-'14 style body (Beaudett)
-'14 style frame rear cross member
-'14 style coil box
-Twelve rivet rear axle
-Two piece drive shaft housing
-'13 style block with threaded water jacket plugs (June 2, 1913 casting date & June 9, 1913 stamped serial number)

Here are some pictures of the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 01:23 am:

I am no expert on this, but the windshield appears to be an interesting combination of parts. The braces appear to be 1913, but the hinges are mounted in the 1914 way. The windshield does not appear to be able to fold fully upright from the hinge. The rain shield appears to be in the way.
I do not know if it is a 14 windshield mixed with some 13 pieces? Or a 13 windshield with a couple pieces installed incorrectly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 10:38 pm:

The windshield on Ed's car is made by Diamond Mfg. Co. in Detroit. I think that type was used on the early 1914 Model T's. I have one like it, except mine has the 1914 support braces, so that it can fold back as all 1914 Model T's did. The outer hinge plates are brass, and are stamped "DIAMOND MFG. CO. DETROIT MICH. PATENT PENDING". The later 1914 windshields were made by a few suppliers such as Vanguard and Diamond. Ford apparently "standardized" the design so that the windshield parts seem to be interchangeable between the different suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 11:20 pm:

I had one exactly like that and it had straight 1913 style braces on it. Bob Shirley now has it for his project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

I took a closer look at my windshield and I can confirm it is a Diamond.

I was able to find the stamped "DIAMOND MFG CO." on the hinges like the one Jim posted.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration