North Carolina title arrived today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: North Carolina title arrived today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Claus on Monday, May 21, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

Recently moved to North Carolina and began the process of registering and titling our vehicles here. Hated to forfeit my Model Tís Virginia title after reading some of the past forum posts on the problems experienced by some members.
The state inspector showed up a few days after I placed a call and in two weeks time the title arrived. What a pleasant surprise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, May 21, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

Um Waxhaw,little town in Union county where I used to work. I was working in that part of the county the day they were filming some stuff for the Matlock tv series. Is the Bridge and Rail restaurant still there?
My initials are probably still on alot of the road signs, MJC and 1057,that was my marks. Should be on most of the route markers at 16 and 75.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 09:47 am:

I transferred my 26 Roadster P U Jan. 4th. Thanks to our worthless governor here in Minnesota, he spent multi-million dollars to improve the speed of our title transfer and gave the contract to his buddies. I just got the title last week. I know some states like Iowa you walk in and transfer and walk out with a new title in your hand. It did not take that long just because it was a Model T, they all take that long. So if you want to buy a car and fix it up to flip it we have to wait 4 or 5 months to get a title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 11:13 am:

Hey Ray. I live in Morganton, N.C. and when I bought my '20 runabout from out of state, I had no problem. The state inspector came by within a few days and the tag and title was quick and easy even though the lady at the tag office didn't understand at first why the T had only one door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

I'm at step 3 of 5 in Nebraska's title application process. The first time I tried step 3, which is to get a state-assigned VIN, My application was rejected because the County Sheriff's report did not have a number in the odometer field. I explained that over the phone and sent in my paperwork again today.

I have until August 3 to complete the process or I have to start over. I'm trying to stay positive but my state's DMV keeps giving me conflicting requirements. It depends on who answers the phone that day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 01:42 pm:

Raymond, did the state inspector come to your home or did you have to take your T to him.
Here in Texas we have to bring the car to the DMV location and the inspection is done there.
Luckily there is one located about 15 miles from me. There are several here in Texas located around 125 miles from each other. I had to get the inspection done for the 21 Touring after I restored it. The title was long gone and I had to go through a bonded title service to get one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 01:47 pm:

Antique cars are just used cars.

Transferring a antique car with an existing title and registration should be no different than transferring a modern used car regardless if it is due to a sale to an in state or out of state resident or the current owner simply moving to another state.

The above shouldn't be confused with cars that have no title and/or registration at the time of sale. That's usually when you hear the "horror stories."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

Thank you Raymond, I have heard a few horror storys about North Carolinaís antique car titling too. We are closing on a house at the end of this month and moving at the end of June!

I am looking forward to having a longer season to enjoy my T as well as a lack of winter cold...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 06:49 pm:

David H, the one door business reminds me of the conversation the lady at my insurance company's office and I had about my three door touring. It must have sounded a bit like the old "who's on first" routine that Abbot and Costello did so well.

One caution to anyone moving to NC or buying a car out of state while living in NC... MAKE SURE the VIN tags, if the car has, or ever had a VIN tag, is in place and does not appear to have been tampered with in any way. You might move here and never be able to register your vehicle. I have heard of it happening. The situation can sometimes be fixed, but it could take a long time and a bunch of money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Claus on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 08:54 pm:

John, the DMV inspector came to our house. I wasnít home, my wife showed her into the garage and she asked to lift the hood for the engine number. Seems apparent that it wasnít her first T.
Mack, Iíll have to start looking at the sign post as well as the signs!
Mark, I think youíll find a much kinder winter here!
Iím a new T owner myself. Anyone local willing to pass on some expertise Iíd love to hear from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 09:36 pm:

You guys in NC are lolling in the lap of luxury, with inspectors that make house calls. Here you have to schlep the vehicle to the county seat and pay a cop $10 (cash only) to look at it. Even with that, Kansas is much better than the states where the legislature believes that vehicle registration should be a bureaucratic nightmare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

Here in Wisconsin it takes a month at LEAST to get a title for an antique vehicle.
I'd rather wait a month for what is usually a painless process as we have NO inspections to suffer.......none.
Just 6 photos of the 4 sides, the engine and the dash so they can verify the car hasn't been modified gets the job done.
Even some, clearly specified, minor mods won't affect the process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 08:30 am:

Steve, Nebraska is the same as Kansas. I had to trailer my car to the county inspection station, pay a fee and say a few prayers in hopes that the sheriff gets the paperwork done correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 08:41 am:

Well that's nice of NC to send out an inspector to make the inspection. I had to load my car up and wait in line with the other guys who had old cars to be inspected.
Some guys have to drive over 100 miles to get their cars to the nearest inspection station.
I guess it wasn't that bad for me since I had to drive less than 20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 06:03 am:

I'm in Virginia and to title my REPLICA vehicles a DMV inspector must come all the way from Richmond to inspect the car at a $140.00 travel fee EACH CAR, look at the car and affix a VIN tag at a place of his choosing, inspect build photos and receipts and figure sales taxes for parts sourced outside the state, after he is done I go to my local DMV, pay the registration fee, title fee, tag fee, sales taxes and get the title and registration. Oh yeah and certify that liabilty insurance is secured on the vehicle. Then the Personal Property taxes start TO accrue, payable on June 5th and Dec 5th. I'm retired with 4 cars in the stable now, which would be a $1000 hit a year in property tax alone, not including the insurance. A couple of thousand bucks a year to the state and county to have titles and tags is quite a hit for me. Hence they are ''parade cars'' and display cars. They don't exist for tax purposes until they are registered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

FINALLY! I got my title today. It could be a new state record. I did it in 49 days. I went to my county treasurer's office 4 times. The first three times I was turned away by people who did not know Nebraska law. I knew the law and ultimately prevailed. In each of my 4 visits, I had all of my paperwork in order. The difference in the last visit today, I would not take No for an answer. My local DMV personnel were flatly wrong in what they thought was the correct procedure.

I had loaded my guns and spoken to the director of my state's DMV and had her permission to have the county office call her directly. She was Awesome and a great help.

Stupid me, I forgot to take my proof of insurance and was unable to get plates. I didn't care. I now have legal ownership and I'll get plates next week.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration