Early Patent Plate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Early Patent Plate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Hello Hap:
I committed to getting back to you after this previous discussion regarding the early patent plates. The photo shows my original #3539 plates, as well as the positioning of the plates before they were removed from the kick-plate. This Beaudette Touring body is aluminum and has what is left of it's original Green finish with red pinstripes, where at least 60 years of it's history is known. Not sure what regulatory requirements made these plates necessary, but I doubt whether some T's had them, where others did not. The question previously raised was "at what serial number were these two plates superseded by the later single patent plate that contains the spare-out for the serial number"? Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

Scott,

Thank you for adding the photos and follow-up information. The previous thread [ see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/855775.html?1523486282 ] was back in Apr of this year (2018).

In that posting we were not able to gather enough information to say when the 2 ID plates in the photo above that you posted stopped being used and when the single Patent Plate with the area for the engine / car number began being used. The single plate is shown below. Thank you to Lang's for making the reproduction plate available and for having photos on line of what it looks like.

(And there most likely would have been some overlap when both were used but we don't know if that was one day, one week or what.)

We would still like to know who has an original car/ID patent tags that have the serial number on the earlier 2 plate style that is near or beyond the 65xx of your friends car.

And we would like to know of any of the later 1909-1911 style plate that has a number close to or lower than 13,936 (Late Dec 1909). [That is based on the car at: http://findclassicars.com/ford/33762-1909-ford-model-t-base-29l.html -- but I have not been able to confirm if that ID patent plate was original to the car or not. I just don't know. ] But we would like to know who has what number that is near that one.

Gail Rodda may have the best available dates which he shared on page 24 of his Vol 2 as the transition occurred "late 1909."

Again, thank you for adding the additional information.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 08:52 am:

Many thanks Hap. I don't have the Gail Rodda Volume #2, so not familiar with that detail discussion. I do have his Volume #3, but this does not discuss the tags, where the 09 shown, has the wider early serial number tag, but does not have a patent plate. Not able to confirm what serial number that wooden bodied Touring is, other than that it is a 4 digit (pre-September)number.

I added comments here about the Aluminum body, where I question whether there could have been unique identification circumstances related to that body (Worth noting is that all body kick plates are wood). Touring #65XX has this identical Beaudette Aluminum body, where this body originally had both of the early tags. I say "had" because this patent plate is missing, however, the unique 4 hole pattern that mounted the plate are there. Because the Aluminum bodies have unique construction and component features, I question whether there could also have been some tag uniqueness... I'm not proposing this to be true, just sticking the question out there.
Regards,
Scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration