Paint on aftermarket heads??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Paint on aftermarket heads??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

I have a Giant aftermarket head and wondered if aftermarket heads come painted or just raw metal? If they came from the factory painted, anybody know what a Giant Powerhead color was?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

Giant was Western,Auto if memory serves me.
Right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

I've seen a couple in red, but there was no sign of it on mine. I painted mine black
One good thing is that you can pick out 'GIANT POWER HEAD' in silver so everyone knows.

I think the Giant was a Haibe patent.
See here:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/150327.html

Another good thing is that it works well. Feels like the 30% extra power advertised.
Will maintain 30mph up hills that used to slow the car to 23.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

I recently saw a NOS Ricardo head out of the original box. It was a dark orange like the one posted above in the attachment. I have a Giant Power head I plan to put on my '25. I just haven't gotten around to it! It's black, but that doesn't mean anything. A little silver on the raised letters would be nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 04:43 pm:

If you ask our Martin Vowell for his thoughts on the subject, PURPLE is the color you need.
With purple you will increase your top end by 10mph, It's a panacea for all stomach ailments, will remove warts and grow hair.
Once painted purple , you will be entered to race Martin and his noble steed. The semi-famous Sylmar Purple Headed Flyer .

Who'll be the first ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

Mine is red. :-)

gp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

Mine is (not Chevy, not Hemi - thank you very much)... 1952 Ford Flathead red, Bill Hirsch engine paint color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 10:54 pm:

I have a friend that collects Western Auto store stuff of all kinds.Huge collection NOS.His family was in that business.
I left him a message to see if he has a NOS T head.I know he has one for a Dodge.Maybe same color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 02:00 am:

I have been running a Giant head on my 13 for approx. 10 years. It seems to perform better than a milled low head that I ran prior to the Giant head.
I assume the Giant head combustion chamber design is the reason for improved performance as the compression does not seem different compared to the low head with .060" milled off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 09:50 am:

I laid the Giant Power head and a Z head on my work bench upside-down, and the combustion chambers looked exactly the same. (The Z head was patterned after the Giant Power.) I measured the depth of the chambers, and the Giant Power was 1/8" deeper than the Z. So I had the GP milled 1/8". I knew that would be OK, since I had just removed the Z from my engine to be replaced with the GP. I needed to remove a slight amount from the combustion chamber edges using a die grinder after milling, since the chambers tapered in a bit. No problems after that, and it runs great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 10:35 am:

George, my head is purple because I always repaint it a different color with rebuilds...as I recall you didn't like the green it was previously either...but still, it does look nice if you paint all the head bolts silver and the engine grey....my excuse is, hey I'm an artist.

You've got to admit, it is a pretty engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Yeah I know Mart, just poking fun at your whimsey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

Martin, That looks fast!!! And Great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 11:38 pm:

Marty, I always can recognize a picture of your Head>

Cool

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration