**SCISSORS lift ramp***

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: **SCISSORS lift ramp***
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

Looking for information on a scissors type lift that only lifts on one end thus making a ramp. Anyone have one or seen one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

I want a lift/ramp that I can raise up 30- 40" at one end and drive a Model T up and into a building where the floor is not at ground level. Then lower the ramp when not in use for aesthetic reasons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 06:57 am:

Tom,

If you are able to lift one end of 12"x 2" x 10' board, you can easily make the ramps from the wood available at the local Home Depot.

Below is photo by the late Ricks - Surf City aka Ralp, RDR from the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/157763.html?1283398439

Additional details -- I bought a guy's Model T hauling trailer back in the early 1980s. It was and still is taller than a better designed car trailer. To make it about the same width as a standard pickup truck, the T's wheel roll up the ramp and go over a metal bump that is over the trailer's tires. But the cost was reasonable and I don't use it that often so it has worked for me. It came with steel ramps but they are really short and therefore at a steep angle. So the T wouldn't go up them without a lot of power added and getting a little bit of a moving start before he hit the ramps. So he made his own longer ramps out of some 12" x 2" x 10' boards. He nailed 2"x 4" boards on each side to add strength. They also serve as guides for the T tires as they are flush with one side of the board and stick up on the other side of the board. So they make a "U" channel. That reduced the angle so it is easy to drive the T up on the trailer. And the boards slide under the T and store out of the way on the trailer. Not as nice as a regular low car trailer. But it has been working for 40 + years that I know of without a problem. I store the ramps inside so they don't weather. And when I load the car I also put a couple of large wooden blocks under the ramp to add a little bit of support to them. But I have driven my 2500 lb town sedan over them without any support under them and they held. So for a light T -- it works. (Loaded TT not a good idea.) If you are using the car every day -- that would get old really quick. For weekend use, it would probably be fine. Just a thought for your consideration.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 07:21 am:

I am looking for a ramp to install outside of a building and leave it there but put it down, not manually, out of site when not in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - 08:02 am:

We used to use dock plates to drive fork lifts in and out of railroad cars.These were usually installed and removed by fork lift.If you have compressed air a hinged ramp could easly be built using steel tread plate decking and truck air bags for the lift.At Olds we built many for almost any use needed.The air bags i'm talking about are used in truck and trailer supension instead of the the old time springs. Many years ago when RD posted that picture i suggested he get/use a truck with air ride so when loading/unloading one could use the trucks [dump valve] to lower it making the load angle much less.These air bags are heavy duty and will last many years. Bud,retired Millwright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 12:11 am:

Great Pic, I remember helping with that...

Don't forget RDR's favorite was towing the T with 4 on the ground!

I saw a very neat T loaded on the back of a pick up truck that had ramps built onto the top of the bed in Kanab on one of the tours there. Was a very neat load and no trailer hassle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 08:42 am:

As one might not have easy axcess to compresed air a old 5'th wheel travle trailer has a light strong frame and eletric jacks on one end.These are 12 volt and any 12 volt car/truck with a set of jumper cables can power.Usually a RV salvage place could provide very cheap and there are a couple in southern Mi on US 12. As the question was seeking info on a scissors lift yes i remember [all] the pictures. Bud in Wheeler,Mi. PS,A trailer use might have avoided some pictures?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 10:09 am:

I have new 48" hi lift scissor lift I have never used. It has a 48" height lift. Rated at 6000# capability. The brand is Benpac, certified both by UL and Hoist manufacturers certification.

We bought it for our tire center and decided it was not needed. If someone wants it $1500.00 plus freight. It was installed but never used.

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration