Upper windshield Help for 26

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Upper windshield Help for 26
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 11:04 pm:

My upper windshield swings in as I drive on the road . I tighten the wing nuts but they work loose. I put a rubber washer between the windshield and stantion. Do I need to adjust out the nut that appears on the wing nut stud? Being new to T s can't get my head around this problem. Thank you in advance for any help. Eck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

Id have to double check but I think on mine the reproduction wing nuts were bottoming out on the studs before they tightened properly. I just put some washers (painted black, of course) in there and seem to have solved it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Friday, May 25, 2018 - 09:05 am:

There is a rubber seal that goes between the upper and lower glass panels. It fits onto the lower pane. It seals the gap and also keeps the upper windshield from swinging in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 25, 2018 - 09:15 am:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/7840H.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 25, 2018 - 09:17 am:

Might be best to remove the rubber washer, the upper male cup goes into the female cup of the stanchion. I like to put a tiny bit of Vaseline inside the cup to make the action smooth when opening and closing.

Also be sure the stanchions are tight to the body, if they flex outward that can cause looseness too.

And, a washer outboard of the stanchion on the protruding stud will allow for good tightness of the assembly. Used a stainless one to prevent rust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Friday, May 25, 2018 - 09:27 am:

I had the rubber seal on the top glass and will move to lower glass. I will obtain some washers today and remove the rubber washers. When the windshield swings in , it make a bad glare for driving and my rear view mirror is useless. Thank you for the help Eck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 25, 2018 - 10:53 am:

For all owners of 26-27 Model T open cars and maybe 23-25 also. When you trailer on an open trailer, be sure to push the top windshield back against the steering wheel before pulling the trailer!
I witnessed one on one of our tours where the upper windshield slammed the steering wheel so hard it broke the Fordite steering wheel which rendered the car undriveable until the steering wheel was replaced.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, May 25, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

The upper windshield should not be able to swing inward even if the wing nuts are loose, the rubber seal/stop, prevents this. When it is hot I drive with the top windshield straight out and snug the wing nuts to hold it, when it is down it can't swing inward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Friday, May 25, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

Moved seal to lower glass, added washers under wing nuts and windshield still moved pretty ez. Added the rubber washers back under brackets to help with the resistance. Tomorrow I will take the truck for a spin. The rubber seal has a shallow grove and comes off the glass very ez even when pushed down secure. Thanks for all help and will try again tomorrow Eck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, May 25, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Eck, There is should be a cone shape spacer between the windshield and the post, it fits in a cone shape hole in the post. As you tighten the nut, it will lock it up. you are probably missing the proper spacer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Friday, May 25, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

I replaced my stations with new ones and they appear to be sprung out some. I have the chrome cones with the stud with the nut holding it to the windshield. Should the cone cover the stud not and be free floating between the frame and station. Can not secure windshield with just hand pressure. Eck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

Think I solved my problem. Tonight I noticed a concave surface on the cone and matching convex on the jam nut. Turned the nut around, added washers and seemed to snug up. Will re do the other side in the morning.. Thanks all

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration