Short distance towing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Short distance towing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 11:14 am:

I know you aren't supposed to tow a T generally speaking but how about a few blocks at 5-10 MPH? I just can't believe people trailered cars every time they had a breakdown just a short distance from home back in the day. I have towing coverage with my insurance but I just couldn't see calling a service if I were just a few blocks from home. What do you guys do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 11:17 am:

I dont know,I think that would be a hard call. Even with the transmission in neutral things are still turning in there and need oil. Without the engine running theirs no oil being tossed around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 11:24 am:

I would load it on a flat bed. Towing, etc. is something you pay for. Use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 11:33 am:

Good greaf, if it was only a few block, tow it. Unless there was engine damage. If you are worried take the plugs out and tow in high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 11:42 am:

I carry a tow strap in my car. I usually use it to rescue others, but have used it on my own car. Plugs out and lever in center.

That said I have towing AAA coverage and if I can't get home for my own trailer I call AAA. The have gotten rid of their hook trucks and all of the towing fleet are roll-backs so no problem.

I once burnt out all my bands on Ophir Hill (a huge long steep winding killer road). I used that strap on my rear axle and tied it off on the front bumper of a Jeep "tow" vehicle. It looked like that Jeep was pushing me with a really stiff tow strap! Once I got off the mountain I had just enough low to get moving on the flat road and drop into high. I got home with high gear and the hand brake (don't try this at home!).

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 11:42 am:

What Mark said. Pull the plugs and tow in high gear. Ruckstell in high too if you have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 11:53 am:

Depends on what is the cause of the car not running. If the engine will turn, you should pull the plugs and tow in high gear. The flywheel is the "oil pump" in a model T. If the engine will run, you might try idling it in neutral while being towed. If the rear axle or transmission is locked up, you might have to trailer the car. When my transmission locked up, I stopped right in place and could not even push the car. My son came down with the truck and trailer and a floor jack which had rollers. We jacked up one rear wheel and winched the car onto the trailer.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 02:37 pm:

There were devices you could attach to a rear wheel to allow free wheeling for towing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 02:49 pm:

There were devices you could attach to a rear wheel to allow free wheeling for towing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 02:51 pm:

One of the videos from the OCF shows a T tow truck dragging a T around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

Sorry for the double post. There was a posting a few years back on how one of our Model T'ers fabricated a towing wheel by welding a stub axle to a piece of steel plate cut to fit the rear hub. He used a "cripple" spare wheel from the junk yard. This a allowed him to tow his T with a tow bar rather than trailer it. Maybe some one can retrieve the article.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

Towing in neutral will have the tail shaft of the transmission turning and nothing to throw oil up onto the 4th main. Do it at your own peril. I side with the guys who say pull the plugs and tow in high gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

I've not got any experience with this so please don't shoot me, but if you fill the engine with enough oil to cover the tail shaft and be picked up by the rotating brake drum, and left it in neutral would that be enough lubrication to get you home? You'd need to drain the oil out but it might be cheaper than an wrecker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 12:07 am:

I remember years ago I never gave it any thought and towed mine about 2 miles in neutral. I'm not recommending it but I didn't know any better. No internet back then to find stuff out.
That being said, I got towed about 1/2 mile last year in neutral. I figured that's not too far. It seems like the clutch release fingers would throw up a little oil for the 4th main? In neutral that driven plate and brake drum spin. I would worry more about friction overheating the clutch plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 12:14 am:

Nevermind my idea about the clutch fingers throwing up oil. Oil isn't that deep but doing what Noel said and adding oil would get it up there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 02:38 am:

Give me a break!!!
Oil can oiling wonít save a T when it is towed?
You donít worry about your wheel bearings burning out when there is no fresh grease or oil throwing around in the hubs.
When you are driving do you have oil throwing around in the generator to keep the rear bushing from burning out?
Do you worry about your hand brake cross shaft burning out at the frame attachments because thereís no fresh oil slashing around on them?
Whatís gonna burn out? The 4th main? That wasnít soaked with oil when the motor stopped?
Or add a few extra quarts of oil into the engine so all the parts are submerged in oil.
I wouldnít tow it 5 miles in neutral, but I donít think that would hurt it.
So remove the spark plugs and tow it with the handbrake lever all the way forward, like Ford recommended. That way the engine will be turning and splashing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 03:58 pm:

Noel, what did you do when you pulled the couplet over the Rocky Mountains?

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 08:24 pm:

Rick, He was running but carburetion or something didn't give him enough power to climb himself. I simply hooked on and helped him out. He kept the engine running and I believe in gear as we went over the divide at Trail Ridge. I couldn't have done it without the Ruckstell. I don't remember the gentleman's name and hope he is touring and doing well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

A model T does not have a 3 or 4 speed gear box that can be put in neutral to isolate the engine from the transmission. In fact a Model T really never has a "true" neutral as the transmission is not detached.

If you pull a Model T without the engine in high gear as if it is running there is not proper lubrication and it will be damaged. A Model T is a "splash" system and without the engine tossing oil around if running or not things don't lubricate. It doesn't have to be running but does need to be moving all parts as if it is running.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Monday, May 28, 2018 - 10:23 am:

I towed my 26 speedster with the transmission in high and plugs removed after adjusting main and rod caps. Run in without compression. Just a few miles to verify knocks and not too tight. I also installed rod dippers at this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

When I joined the 2piece crank club I had to be towed a couple of miles to a safe parking place with a seized engine. On stripdown there was clear evidence of heat damage in the trans. Tow in gear or fill the engine to the gills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

The original question was "a few blocks."

Mark Gregush answered the question last Saturday.

You're not going to hurt the transmission if you SLOWLY tow a Model T a few blocks in neutral. I wouldn't go over 5 MPH. You and your friends can also push it instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

Erik, I tend to agree that a few blocks at a very slow pace is unlikely to cause any damage. Apparently this is one of those thorny issues. I have done it a couple of times with two different cars and never noticed any ill effects. Now maybe someone could take the inspection cover off, take a magnifying glass and say, "See there! I told you!", but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again should the need arise. I just can't imagine that people didn't hitch up and pull their T back to the shed back in the day and if that would have resulted in the disaster some folks seem to imply it would have been much more widely noted over the years. I just wanted to get a feel for others experiences and opinions on the subject. Corey is the only one to talk about actually doing it and he also seemed to have had no resulting problem although I don't think I would ever do it for more than a few blocks at a VERY slow pace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

When I inherited my Grandfathers 24 Coupe in the late 50's my Father and Uncle towed it to the farm. It was around 15 miles one way from town and it took around 30 minutes as I remember. I was about 12 years old and I vaguely remember my Father and Uncle talking about that the T smelled a little hot. My father was behind the wheel in the T and my Uncle had told him to keep the hand brake straight up so it would pull easier. Whatever they else did or didn't do I just don't remember.
A week or so later they got the T running and it seemed OK. We drove here and there so maybe there wasn't to much damage!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration