Brake cam pin installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Brake cam pin installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Babitz on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 04:00 am:

I'm getting ready to install new brake cams and lever arms. The backing plate is mounted on the car, so I'm having trouble believing it will be easy to peen the pins on both sides, even with the wheel and fender removed. Not clear how to support one end while I peen the other end. I'm sure there is an obvious answer to this. Is the pin softer than it looks? Why can't I just use a machine screw instead of a pin, and avoid swinging a hammer in a confined space? Seems like a pin is fine for quick factory assembly to the backing plate before mounting to the axle assembly, but wouldn't a screw be easier for field repair? Doesn't seem to be any mechanical interference. I can paint it black so you guys don't laugh at me...

I will note that I did the buffalo nickel as a Welch plug trick today and it was much easier than I expected. Even a klutz like me was able to cup the nickel with a quick hammer strike. A friend provided the nickel, and by coincidence it was the right year for the car. I was able to set it with a hammer without cracking my block or hitting my fingers. Hope it holds when I add coolant and start it up tomorrow. And yes, I made sure the buffalo is right side up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 08:40 am:

In my experience, the pins are soft enough to peen by squeezing both ends simultaneously with some big vise-grips, no hammering necessary. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 08:17 pm:

Try a hardened shear pin!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration