What type of wheel ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What type of wheel ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent bassani Califon, NJ on Monday, May 28, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

can anyone please tell me what type of wheel this is ? i need to buy a spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, May 28, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

Hi Vincent,

Are you in need of a spare rear wheel, a front wheel, or just the rim? The wheels appear to be the garden variety 30 x 3 1/2. The drum on the rear wheel looks to be the larger Improved Car size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, May 28, 2018 - 01:54 pm:

They still make the straight ribbed 30 by 3 and 1/2 clinchers ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, May 28, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

Bob I wish they made any tread design in 30X3-1/2 whitewall but as far as I know they are no longer made. I need one for my '12 or else I am going to have to replace all the tires on the car. Thought about two blackwalls on one side and two whitewalls on the other but that seems a bit ridiculous. At least it would work until someone walked around the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, May 28, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

There are 3, if not 4 distinct & different 23" wheels for Model T's. Take a look through any Ford Price List of Parts, say around 1924-'25 and see what Ford put out - certain rims go on certain wheels although they will interchange for the most part BUT are not mated !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 28, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

To add to what Steve T says, it looks to me like the two wheels you show are different makers.
They are typical 1920 to '25 Ford clincher rims and wheels. As Steve said, there were (at least) four distinctly different makes and models. Some rims will cross fit to some wheels okay? Others? Not so much.
I am not good enough to tell from the photos which wheels and/or rims you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 28, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

Vincent, if you have a mixture of wheels manufactured by different makers, I believe one type of rim will fit all wheel brands. The rim with fixed lugs WITHOUT the foot which intrudes over the wheel felloe should fit all brands of wheel. Hayes rims WITH the foot will only fit Hayes wheels which have the relief in the felloe to accommodate the lug foot.

I may be wrong, as my experience is almost entirely with Kelsey wheels.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, May 28, 2018 - 09:48 pm:

The Hayes wheels usually have the name Hayes stamped on the lugs. If so look for that brand wheel. If you are going to look at a swap meet for a wheel, take one of yours along to compare.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 07:48 am:

As a guide, here are the locations of "Hayes" lightly stamped into the lugs and felloes of my wheels: :-)

pic1

pic2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration