Spring washers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Spring washers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 06:27 am:

I have just finished installing new kevlar band linings in Henrietta. When I removed the hogshead every nut and every bolt without a nut, had a spring washer under it. They are not the modern type having a square cross section. Rather, they are rectangular in cross section, being considerably wider than they are thick. I have never before found the two lower bolts at the universal joint ball to still be wired on an unrestored car, but hers were.

The car has 4 Kelsey rims dated 3 - 25, so by the time it got to Australia it would have been well into the 1925 year. The engine number is unreadable, and the 1955 registration certificate is missing a digit, so I cannot get a more accurate production date. Is there any likelihood that the use of spring washers was factory practice by that time? I put them all back as found, without managing to lose even one!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 02:10 pm:

Yes.

FEB 2 Acc. 94, (“Bolts, Nuts, etc.” folder)
Letter from W.C. Klann to Martin and Howard:
“On Dec. 2nd, 1924 Mr. Martin and Mr. Galamb O.K.’d
building motors with no cotter keys in the bolts but using
lock washers instead in the crankcase, transmission cover
and cylinder block assembly only. Why not put this on the
blue print? Please advise.”

Above from factory letters, have seen late 1924's with those lock washers. I like to use them instead of cotters anyway. The modern ones fit nicely into the casting boss around the holes of the block for the crankcase.

But....? The famous 15 million didn't have lock washers, but used cotters! Maybe they knew Henry wasn't informed of the line operations change :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration