Piston to Cylinder head Clearance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Piston to Cylinder head Clearance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Trumpy on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

I am installing a Z head on my T engine. The engine has.040 over standard aluminum pistons. Checking the piston to head clearance with no head gasket I found .012 to .022 clearance on cylinders 1 & 4 respectively and .012 & .013 interference on # 2 & 3. Adding the head gasket at a nominal .065 will give clearance on all cylinders but is it enough? What is acceptable running clearance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

Agree with Frank. I have ran them closer without problems

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 11:08 am:

I'm sure Frank and Mike are correct, but personally I'd remove material from 2 and 3 combustion chambers until there is no contact without a gasket. Prussian blue is good for this. Paint the piston top and see where it marks the chamber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 12:50 pm:

On performance orientated engines, the norm is to run pistons flush with the top of the block and then use the head gasket as the spacer....which generally runs between .039"-.060".

That being said, you are asking if your total .077" minimum (head gasket + piston to head clearance) is enough piston to head clearance. The answer is yes.

I would just make sure because the piston protrudes the block, that your minimum clearance is sufficient on all areas of the dome, IE nothing contacts the head without the head gasket.

Hope I explained that well enough.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration