Do you like vintage photographs of automobiles?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Do you like vintage photographs of automobiles?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

Just one collection here at the George Eastman Museum. There are no actual prints, only the original glass negatives, but the archive has them inverted to positive for our files.

Click on this and you will be amazed. All images taken by Nathan Lazarnick from around 1903-1930. Some were published in Scientific American back in that era. Most are unpublished.

https://collections.eastman.org/search/%22nathan%20lazarnick%22%20automobile/obj ects/list?filter=mediaExistence%3Atrue%3Bpeople%3ANathan%20Lazarnick#filters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

I dont really like dusty old photographs of old cars, but I'll take a look. THANK YOU!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

Mark ,Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

Wow, nearly two thousand photos! I looked quickly at one hundred of them. A lot of early racing cars, some famous cars, many cars I have never seen. Some nice action shots, a few wrecks, good shots of people and drivers also.
I am going to have to spend a couple hours looking through those.
Thank you Mark O! (I think?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 03:49 pm:

I too have enjoyed looking at some of the pictures. I hope we get a rainy day so I can spend more time looking at them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 06:50 pm:

This is just a fraction of the photographs in the George Eastman Museum collection which also includes motion pictures dating to the late 1890s. That particular collection of automotive photographs is a fantastic archive that no one has really researched. Would make a great book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 09:30 pm:

This is gonna take a while, see you in a few days. Thank you, Mark. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 02:16 am:

I tried to look at more photos tonight, but their site must be being serviced. I could only look at a few, and had trouble with those. Got a message something to the effect of "indexing in process". Try again later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 03:12 am:

The site was working tonight. I looked at about 300 photographs. A lot more racing cars, a few Glidden tour cars, about a hundred of just people (mostly people I never heard of, but some famous including a few of Thomas Edison). About a half dozen of Barney Oldfield in racing cars also.

A lot of good stuff!

Hey, Mark O, what would you recommend for restoration of an interesting model T vintage photograph suffering from a bad case of "silvering out"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 08:28 am:

To all: the website at the Museum has been whacky for a month or so. Sorry about that. Makes us crazy too. Iím told they are working on a new site to replace the current one, but who knows when that will happen. Glad some of you were able to get into the Lazarnick files. They are worth the trouble.

To Wayne: I am in the photograph conservation department. The official answer is that your silver mirroring is a common problem with silver gelatin prints. Itís a breakdown of the black image silver migrating to the surface in a fine deposit. Like other antiques .. itís part of the object and should be left alone.

The unofficial answer is that some people donít like it and some dealers of old photographs remove it by carefully rubbing the area with white ďair breadĒ ... or with your softest finger after rubbing your nose. (Nose oil) You didnít hear this from me! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 09:18 am:

I don't recall ever seeing a photo of the 1893 Haynes before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 11:25 am:

To the top !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

Steve, was that image on the GEM site?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

It's on Page 2. I cropped it and adjusted the contrast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 03:43 pm:

Thank you Mark O ! At least now I know it wasn't just me and my computer messing up.
As for the photo I have. I have wanted to share it for many years. However, every effort to make a copy or transmit it has failed miserably. Held in the hands and looked at it seems pretty good. But every attempt at a copy has come out with blobs of nearly white over much of the picture.

Steve J, I also was amazed by that picture of Elwood Haynes' car. I have seen several pictures of it, some taken when it was nearly new, a few famous photos taken many years later. But this I think was one of the best pictures of it I have seen. The picture shows some nice detail.
There were at least three gasoline powered automobiles built and driven in the USA in 1893. Some very good evidence of four and maybe even five that year. Most historians credit the Duryea brothers with being first before Haynes and Black by mere weeks. Some historians believe Haynes may have been first, but because the Duryea brothers were working for a living in different states, they wrote letters back and forth every few days chronicling their progress and tests. So their claim was the best supported.
Ironically, working apart and all those letters is also what lead the brothers to dispute who was most responsible for their developments, and why they soon after went their separate ways.
Elwood Haynes continued to claim to have been the first gasoline powered automobile in the USA for most of his life. And some historians still debate about who was really first. Interestingly, that debate also still continues over whether the first gasoline powered automobile in the world really was the Benz? Or maybe Gottlieb Daimler was first? History says Daimler and Benz were living and working only a couple hundred miles apart, both in Germany, working on the same ideas and finding the same solutions. And supposedly, neither knew of the other at that time. History says the Benz was first driven barely a month before the Daimler car was.
The automobile was an idea whose time had come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 04:19 pm:

Wayne, white blobs suggest to me that a camera with a flash was involved, like this.

If you have to use a camera, it's usually better to go without the flash, like this.

Best of all is no camera, but a scanner.

I think it's remarkable that after Karl Benz built his gas buggy, his wife drove it sixty miles to visit relatives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 06:29 pm:

Steve J, I tried many things. A scanner was the worst. Very little of the picture actually showed up, off-white haze all over the place. I figured it was the bright light reflecting off the silvering effect. So I tried several no flash photos, but whatever light source I used left similar reflections in different areas of the picture. I took it to a couple so-called experts then. They said to throw the thing away. It was old and of no value. It has been a few years now since I tried, and we have a better camera now. So maybe I should try again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 02:52 am:

I just thought I would bump this back up to the top again. As of tonight, I have looked at 1000 of the more than eighteen hundred photos on this link. I am now officially somewhat over half way through this particular collection.
This little milestone has made me wonder just how many era photographs I have looked at over the past fifty plus years. I sometimes comment about the "thousands" of original era photographs I have looked at, and wonder if some people think I nay be exaggerating. When I consider all the photos I have looked at in the more than fifty years of "Antique Automobile". "Vintage Ford", and HCCA "Gazette", plus a few hundred issues of other publications and books (Stein, Clymer, and many others), plus web sites like this one. I begin to wonder how many tens of thousands of old photographs I have looked at. Now, many of them have been just a minute or so glance, however, others I have studied for a considerable time. Over the years, there must be a few hundred photos I have looked at very closely, many for time well into hours. My magnifying glass is always handy at home. I sometimes take it with me when I know old photos are going to be looked at.

Lots more here as before. There must be nearly two hundred so far taken on the famous Glidden Tours (I am not sure what years, though some are labeled 1908). And more than that of racing cars, many in action shots. That one collection could be turned into a few good books!
The website seems to be a bit user unfriendly. Navigating through to find where you left off is a bit difficult. And I don't know if it is their site? Or my new computer? But zooming in close on the photos is tricky at best.
Anyone that enjoys looking at era photos should spend some time there.

Again, Thank you Mark O!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration