Weed eater

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Weed eater
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Walter on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 03:26 pm:

Thinking to bough new weed eater for my field.
I was looking for something good.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 03:42 pm:

Just a suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

Lots of cheap ones available---They don`t last....Buy A STIHL---I`m in my 3rd season now with NO problems. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Walter on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

I`m laugh so bad :-)
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

Most of the commercial guys around here are going Echo.The last new machines I bought when cutting grass were Echo. Whatever you buy, make sure the emissions period is 300 hours. Most wally world machines are 50 hours, some units at farm supply's are 125 hours.
It will be a a,b,c rating or it will say clearly ,50,125 or 300 hours.
This is the period the company says the exhaust emissions will meet standard. So the higher that number,the better quality the engine will be.
ALSO,and this is important, Echo,Stihl and others if a machine is brought in for warranty repair,they have a fuel testing kit to determine the age of the fuel.IF their kit says it is over 30 days old, warranty void. So during the warranty period,I would strongly suggest you run the canned fuel sold by the manufacturer of your machine.A warranty claim when that fuel is used is usually honored with much less static.It has the additives to prevent damage to the engine due to age.And they sold it to you.So if it is defective,it is back on them! I know,it aint cheap,BUT it is cheaper than using a machine 6 months and the warranty be voided and all is lost.

Have you considered a a DR mower or similar machine? it is a walk behind machine that uses Large string.I have a older DR and I love it for rough areas. Mtd makes a similar machine to a DR that is available from Lowes. It uses a regular 4 cycle engine.
Goats and sheep work to a point.But they eat all the good stuff,grass and clover down below the root and leave that ugly stuff you really want gone until there is nothing else left to eat.
Our goats were strange.they would eat hunny suckle and all kinds of junk but would stomp and poo on alfalfa hay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Walter on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 05:34 pm:

Thanks Mack,for such detail suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

Mack, your goats weren't "strange", they were just goats. Common misconception is that they should prefer the kinds of forage that grazing animals (horses, cattle) thrive on.

They don't. They are members of the genus "caprinae" which includes antelope (fondly referred to out here in the Wild West as "government goat"). They are browsers, and much prefer any number of broad leaf plants and woody shrubs (including honeysuckle) to grasses or other forage (like alfalfa). General rule of thumb for goats is that they will eat anything you don't want eaten, and you'll have to starve them into clearing an overgrown ditch-bank of grass and weeds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

I have a Ryan 4 stroke, Mine is 12 years old, and going strong! Cost less then most, why pay for expensive ones. I find that mine has out lasted everyone's else's that I know.

I'm for the goat's, been trying to get the wife to let me get 2 of them, for trimming. She say's no goats, but I'm getting closer to getting them, since she can't help mow anymore.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

As for goats and sheep "mowing" the grass, you'd be better off buying a lawn mower. Like Mack says, they eat the clover and leave the grass you want mowed.

Goats? You'd better have high fences. They can jump a 47 inch fence with no problem. That plus they'll climb anything.

As for trimmers, I have an Echo that is maybe 6 or 8 years old. No problems.

My Stihl chain saw is giving me problems after about 8 or 10 years and I heat the house with wood. My old Homelite is still going strong after 42 years.

Oh yeah, I went out and saw the sheep had found a patch of Canada Thistles about a foot tall. They were pulling them up by the roots. They love them. American Bull Thistles? They won't touch them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 09:47 pm:

I use a Maryama. I use amsoil 2 cycle and drive 40 miles for no alchol gas. I also have an Echo which starts EZ and runs real well. I use an Shindawa speed head and this machine is over 6 years old and cut many lawns and still going strong. Harder to find replacement parts local now but like both better than Stihl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

I started working for my friend who has a lawn service last year when I messed up my leg and couldn't weld anymore, or I can weld, I just can't move heavy stuff around. Last year he got a new Stihl and this year 2 Echoes. I prefer the echo. One is smaller, I'd get the bigger one. I can't remember the models but can look tomorrow.
The speed feed heads are nice to have also. You just run the line through, pull it until it sticks out the same on both sides, then twist the head to wind it up. A lot simpler than having to twist two separate lines around and put it all back together if you have to do it a lot. The Echoes he replaced were several years old and during the summer they run a big part of the day every day. The Stihl is a good product but the Echo seems less bulky. The straight shaft are better, to me anyway. They both come with long warranties but they state you have to use their oil to mix or the warranty is voided.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 10:31 pm:

I have a Sthil weed eater and chainsaw. The saw just 3 years old and the saw about 5 years still no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 11:54 pm:

I use Husqvarna commercially, very tough & long lived plus cheaper than Stihl [which you are paying for the name]. Cheers Wayne in NZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derril on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 03:39 am:

Hey,check out the Ryobi ZRRY34440 18-Inch 30cc 4-Stroke Gas-Powered:
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-ZRRY34440-Gas-Powered-Straight-Shaft-Refurbished/dp /B00339TZY2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Straight-Shaft String Trimmer
've only used electric trimmers before; but now that we have just over an acre sized lot, it was time to upgrade. I know I wanted a 4 cycle one (don't want to mix gas and oil). There was a lot of negative comments but, I did find some helpful comments/suggestions:

1. don't compare to a 2 cycle, very different
2. small engines need to be fine tuned (idle, fuel/air mixture)
3. don't overfill the oil
4. don't store upright, keep level
5. don't turn on side and try to edge with it
6. READ the manual:
http://jonsguide.org/best-4-cycle-weed-eater/#ryobi-zrry34440-18-inch-30cc-strai ght-shaft-string-trimmer
I followed the suggestions and no problems. The first time trying to start was difficult (arm got tired), now not to bad. When cold about 4 pulls, when warm 1 or 2 pulls. If anything changes I'll let y'all know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Walter on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 03:45 am:

Thanks Derril!4 cycle,woah.
Will check it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 07:12 am:

Echo for me.
I bought a curved shaft echo 36 years ago. Used it until last year when it wouldn’t fire any more, bad coil no replacement parts. Plus still had 16 to 1 mix, ready to get rid of that. It would start every year.
I bought an Echo SRM225 to replace it. Home Depot sells them, but bought mine from my local dealer, same price and I keep my trade local. Bought a good size Echo chainsaw also 2 years ago, great saw.
This Echo has the speed feed head also, love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 08:09 am:

Don't forget manual valve adjustments will need to be done on some of the 4 cycle engines after they are run a while.
You will still be apt to have the same fuel problems with the 4 cycle as you do the 2 cycle.The gas will still gum up the carb the same way on either 1 as they use very similar carbs.
Most of the carbs on trimmers have unique adjusting screws that only a certain dealer only tool can be used on them.And no, the dealer will not sell you the tool.Against the law.
But if you look at the screw and look on ebay you can find the tools cheap. Stihl has the most hard to find 1 but they are out there for about 4 bucks and you can save a trip to the dealer when it needs enriched after about 3 sessions.
Extra oil mostly will create carbon deposits and clog spark arrester screens in the mufflers and yes,even the catalytic converters .Yep,alot of trimmers have them.It took a while to gut 1 on a echo that was clogged up..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 09:48 am:

Shindawa is the best I have ever had and with the heat and humidity down here in south Louisiana keeping a lawn in shape requires weekly mowing about 9 months a year--some time every 5 days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 10:15 am:

I was just following up on my comment. The Echo SRM 2620 is the more powerful but SRM 225 is lighter weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 10:27 am:

Love my Echo. I bought it two years ago after reading user reports. I hated winding the cord and prefer the method of inserting the cutters on the Echo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 10:28 am:

I like my Stihl straight shaft. I got it used at my buddy's sale after his passing about 5 years ago. I have olot of fence and object to trim under. The straight shaft is much better at that type of trimming. I can reach through the fence and trim the other side. I only use pure gasoline in all small engines .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 11:08 am:

Mack has it totally right. The hours completely predict the useful life of the machine. The higher the # the better the quality. Forget the carb adjusting screws on most new 2 cycle machines. Their not just covered over they don't exist. Husqvarna calls it "auto tune" for instance. It adjusts itself electronically and there's nothing for you to mess with. Govt. mandated for emissions and you'd damn well better use the right oil/fuel mix too. If you have a riding mower the point is moot. Mow the field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 11:18 am:

I would agree with John Manuals post The Shindawa trimer with speed load is the best trimer of the ten or so of my stock ----Paid 10.for it like new at a G sale because the owner did not know how to feed the string in to the spool. I like Sthil with the plastic blades on heavy grass or shrubs. Oregon grass near the ocean grows very fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 11:23 am:

I believe Echo and Shindiawa are the same.
My owner manual has both names in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 11:53 am:

The local saw and mower shop says that nearly all the gas weed eaters and chainsaws are made by one of 3 companies. I bought an Echo chain saw, set it next to my friends Stihl- Same saw, just slightly different plastic covers...

I use a Kawasaki weed eater. Our local shop that sold them said they only had one that ever came back for repairs. It was in a fire, they fixed it and it is still going strong. Have had mine a long time and it gets used a lot...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 01:09 am:

Hah! I have a running/usable Homelite ST 145 here! Prolly the only running Homelite in the US!
Ya, a carb kit 2 years ago.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 10:15 am:

I actually have a couple homelites that run fine.They were low hour units the folks let sit over the winter and they tossed them. Put the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner and replace the fuel lines, good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 11:01 am:

Well you’re sure getting recommendations from across the spectrum Jon. Let me add another. Troy-Bilt 4 cycle. Liked it so much that I bought another for another property I maintain. BUT... let me share a secret that many of those guys above will say, “yeah, I knew that”. It’s eluded me for years of wearing out chain saws and weed eaters until a neighbor revealed it: Ethanol ! It’ll ruin small engine carburetors -2 and 4 cycle. I had to buy a new carb for my almost-new Jonserud chain saw that quit. Bought a tin can gallon of non ethanol gas at Home Depot for $18 !! Chain saw and weed eaters start on 1st or 2nd crank now every time. Then a filling station nearby began carrying non ethanol gas for about 30 cents over regular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Leave the gas in it over the long season/year and the result will always be no start/carb gummed up. Leave gas in it over the long season/year with stabil in it (or whatever cr+p you'll swear by) and the result will always be no start/carb gummed up. You cannot prolong the useful life of modern fuels, Ask Red Max, Echo, Homelite, Husqvarna or who ever, I've been to all their classes and the all concur: 90 days max then it starts to turn and nothing on earth will stop it. Want it to run next year GUARANTEED? Drain the tank and run it dry. Period. "Oh I left it in for 2 years with no problems". Your full of cr+p or have a long term memory problem. Keep your $ in that piece of dead cow in your back pocket and use your head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

I had to to do the same thing as George did. My 3 year old shindaiwa weedeater quit and I took it in and the guy said carb was beyond repair and a new one was put on, all because if the ethanol fuel. Now all my small engines get non-ethanol gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 01:02 pm:

I have folks ask me to winterize their riding mowers. Kinda nuts really. Start the thing once every couple weeks or haul some mulch with the yard trailer.Run fresh fuel in it and don't let the gas or the battery sit all winter and go dead.
Much cheaper than paying someone to "winterize" it.I use my riding mowers alot during the fall-winter months to grind up leaves.
I know I mentioned i have some homelites that run good right now.Longevity wise I still would not suggest them.Unless you run a bit more oil than called for and keep the screen clean.
Soft piston rings is another way the cheapo's wear out fast. The last homelite leaf blower I worked on did not even have a foam air filter.Just a screen wire!
Also, the latest I have heard on some of the new electronic fuel injected chain saws, if the saw runs out of fuel,it can lean out and gauld the cylinder.A local dealer had 3 of the highest priced saws do this. Factory supplied parts but WOULD NOT pay labor and said it was a 1 time fix. Told the customer to make sure the saw did not run out of fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

I have a Homelite that I have kept going since 2002. all I have done to it was carb rebuild once, spark plug and new fuel lines just last year. Granted it not used as my primary machine anymore, but just like to keep it running.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration