WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR T IN JUNE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR T IN JUNE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

My Touring has been running fantastic since I cleaned the plugs and timer last month so I am not going to mess with it for now. My Coupe needs to be looked at but I haven't had time since I started converting an old barn into a shop. Now since I mentioned how well the Touring is running I probably jinxed myself!

The Touring has a vaporizer carb and is working very well too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

I cleaned the plugs and checked the front wheel bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 05:36 pm:

I just completed the rebuild of my engine in #19, my original Model T racer. I took the center main out in a race last year so I poured and line bored the main bearings. I ended up replacing the crank with a reground 15 under that I had in inventory. The mains were perfectly round but the throws were 4 thou egg shaped. It is ready for the "spirited demonstration " in High Rover on June 16th.
Here is a video of its first start up after resting 66 years from 1950 to 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ItwSahYIc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, June 01, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

So far, nothing. And it's making me nuts!!!!! Was diagnosed with pneumonia yesterday -- barely escaped hospitalization -- and now can't do much of anything for a couple of weeks!!! Just as the weather turns nice, the kind we live for -- and here I am stuck inside! Aaarrrgghhh!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 12:37 am:

Marty, been there done that--0nly thing that kept me out of the hospital was my c-pap machine, the Dr. figured it would do the job providing me enough O2.
Follow the rules, don't get a relapse. Also, you will find you can feel it when you go out in cold weather for about a year. BTW,you are now more susceptible to it! AAAUGH!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

Took the TT out for a 50 mile round trip for my birthday. Put it in the local parade and car show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lefeber on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

Replacing head gasket. I'd rather be driving.
Head gasket 1
Head gasket 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

Pulled a rear wheel. The spokes where scary loose. Some how the bolts loosed up and need to be tightened pined. I checked them when I rebuilt the axle, and everything was tight, and yes they where pined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Flowers - Apple Valley, CA on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 12:11 am:

Absolutely nothing. I headed for the Auburn Swap Meet early Friday morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 12:57 am:

Ken, it looks like your gasket was installed with quite an offset to the front. Whether that had anything to do with the failure I don't Know. When I put the head on I crank the motor over so two of the pistons are at the top of their stroke. This gives you a good reference point and may help avoid the problem of the gasket shifting out of place.

Check any overhang at the front/back with the gasket in place before the head is fitted. Check again when the head is in place to make sure it hasn't shifted.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 12:58 am:

I walked past it in the workshop and admired the work to be done.

Then went inside by the fire ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 01:59 am:

Aaron, I too had a birthday today! My 21st was 32 years ago. I remember it well. I spent today getting my 24 touring ready for the national tour in Santa Rosa and also helping our Mother Lode club get ready for our swap meet tomorrow. I will bail out of the meet and be in time for the meet and greet at the tour headquarters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 02:15 am:

Ken, be sure when you go back together your head bolts don't bottom out before they clamp the head down properly. Run a bottoming tap down the head bolt holes and clean them out. A good test is to put the head on without the gasket and see that the bolts will run down to the head. This leaves the thickness of the gasket as a safety margin to be sure the head is properly secured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 02:55 am:

Ken, unless you have them already, I would use new headbolts too. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 11:16 am:

To the top !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 11:42 am:

Washed and drove my 1927 Touring to our T club's monthly meeting. Next weekend (the 9th) those T's running and wishing to participate will motor to my home for our annual "look at the other guy's T" safety inspection.
We do it this way to avoid "tunnel vision" which we all seem to have when looking at our own T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

Doing some work on a friends 26 coupe. Yesterday I adjusted the rods, took about .020 shims out (that job was over due). Surprised it was not knocking! Got one more to do. Then I have to give a quick hone on the walls and re-ring. It was rebuilt back in about 2010 but he has put a lot of miles on it and was pumping oil No 1& 2 cylinders. Also need to lap one more valve and set gaps.
Pulled the head on my Poormans RAJO, was leaking a little water at the rear passage. I had used grease and copper coat between the head and adapter plate. When it was overheated, with the narrow gasket in that area, the grease gave up the and allowed water to leak out. Remounted just using copper coat, we will see how that works. Temp wise, run ok without a muffler but between the radiator and muffler the temp shoots up fast. I also need to check the timing on it.
My friend (^) came back from a tour with his 23, I missed yesterday, No 1 cylinder was not firing. Moved the coils around, not coils. Moved the spark plugs around, not the spark plug. Swapped the spark plugs wire with a good one, not the wire. That leaves the coil box, wire to timer or timer. (even bent out the contacts in the box)Thinking it could just be bad connection at the terminals in box. (not carbon tracking it has the Fun Project kit installed)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 02:20 pm:

I made a clutch drum puller this morning, then took apart a transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

I actually got it out of the garage for the first time this year - and then it rained and I put it back in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

Took the 18 Runabout Tin Cup for a short, first shakedown spin for this year an hour ago.
The 53 Galion's IH Diesel injector pump internal governor is sagging/hanging up per usual as of late so he stayed in place.
I'll take Tin Cup out. :-)
Noticed a couple of water drops on the front axle after I put him in.
I found this on the new 30 year old Brassworks radiator. Bummer.

OK. I'll find the offending tube/tubes and give a little sumpin' to stop the leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 12:08 am:

I was outside just a little bit ago standing on the back porch when there was a loud pop, sounded like a firecracker or gun shot followed by a puff of smoke. It gave me a bit of a start as it was just 15 feet away on the other side of the fence. It was my really tired spare tire in the bed of my 25! LOL :-)
Bummer, not so much the tire but it was a good tube. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 12:53 am:

Added an extra ground strap to the engine, cranks like crazy now.
On to the carwash tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 06:43 am:

Duey, are you sure that is a Brassworks radiator? I was not aware they ever made a thin core radiator like that one.

I could be wrong, again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 08:39 am:

I dunno Allan. I'd trust your judgement more than my own. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 09:10 am:

Continuing "freshening up" Priscilla-a.k.a. "Prissy"..the '12 Touring I took off Jeff Perkins' hands! Before--

After--

Also got correct headlamps now! Wow they're puurrdy! (If I do say so myself)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

Took the car for a run, it got a bath at the carwash, then to the market. As always got my good share of waves and a few geezers in the parking lot looking her over. While washing the car , got a little careless and some blood was spilt. Mail box fell of it's post , got it fixed too. I'll wait till tomorrow to go after the weeds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Getting ready for our up coming spring tour and did a full PM including packing the front wheel bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

Got my gas tank back from cleaning, patching and sealing and the work cost about a hundred bucks less than I was expecting. Now I just have to fight it back in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

Tim !! Cowl tank ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 09:32 pm:

Repaired front axle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 11:28 pm:

Yeah George, itís the cowl tank for my 26. When I got the car it was pretty crusty and I tried cleaning it myself but eventually decided it was really a job for a professional shop. It was a real bugger to fight out of the car and so far it looks like it might be even worse to get back in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

Air cleaner install and tubing fabrication using Air Maze type Model A air cleaner and drain tubing sourced from the local hardware store. An additional piece turned on the lathe makes the transition from the carb to the tubing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

Nice, Bob! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

Bob, how did you support the weight of the air cleaner? Nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

L shaped 1/8Ēt x 3/4Ē wide steel bracket secured to the outer carb flange bolt. The tubing is then secured to the bracket by the hose clamp.

By the way, have noticed no decrease in performance with this arrangement.

Hope this helps. Thanks, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 12:11 am:

Cool. Thanks Bob. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 12:33 am:

Got my horn working today, total surprise too. Thought what if I turned this little do hickey??? Surprise .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 07:30 pm:

I brought #19 back to life today after the engine rebuild.
It has no starter so Rosalie towed it out in the field with the pickup. It fired up in about 20 feet and runs fine on battery and mag. It is always a little tricky on a short tow rope with no service or transmission brake. I could have put a transmission brake in during the rebuild but promised to keep the car true to its 1950's race roots. The hand welded and hand ground camshaft makes it an unusual car to drive. It seems to have lots of low end torque. All fun though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 12:43 am:

Yesterday I drove up to Wichita and fetched my repaired radiator which had developed a couple of leaks.

Today I ground off some excess solder, buffed and polished, and put it back on the car. Now I'm able to drive again.

My experience has been like Bob's. An air filter "don't hurt the runnin' of it none."
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 01:46 am:

Inherited a '26 coupe from my dad after he passed recently. Started familiarizing myself with it and charging battery. Hasn't run in a couple years but plan on starting it this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 02:36 am:

Nick,
I am sorry to hear about your dad. Welcome to the forum. I hope you find all the help you need here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 09:22 am:

Nick, for lack of better words, same here like Matt said. My condolences, and welcome to the affliction. Get ready for another one!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

I'm sorry about the reason you got the T, but welcome to the group. I see you're only about a 2Ĺ hour Model T drive from me. We're lucky to have lots of country roads for T driving without getting run over. I don't know how much Model T experience you have, but if you have any questions this forum is the right place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

Thanks everyone! I don't have a lot of practical T experience. My dad also had a 29 A that he rat'd from a sedan into a pickup. I've been concentrating on it first and am now comfortable with driving it (other than I'm 6'4" lol). Anyway I'm moving on to start the T and just been going over it to make sure my dad hadn't left anything undone on it. First thing I've noticed is fuel pours out of carb when I turn the tank on and I may have a bad battery but other than that I think its good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

Got Frederick into the air!

I can brag about this because I had nothing to do with it; a very talented young man simply asked me what I wanted him to accomplish, and he did.

I've looked forward to this for a long time.

Bailey removing the shop roll-around dollies.

Centered on the runners

It's been a great day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 03:06 pm:

I like it Bill!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

Bill,

Beautiful car and I can see it's being well taken care of.

Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

Thank you again for your help, Randall. Your input made my mind up as to which way was the safer.

Thank you, Terry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 01:34 am:

Had to isolate gas line to carb to check fuel line. Went with paint can and ingenuity provided by "T's are Us" aka Robb Wolff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 02:22 pm:

I removed the four dry rotted tires from my 27 T's wire wheels, and have sand blasted all four. They turned out to have some light pitting but are in good solid shape! Now to prime them and decide on a color! I'll probably go for gloss black, just to be different! The old tires were holding air if anyone needs some 21" rollers, near west central Indiana! One Fisk, one Monkey wards, two good years! I do need a usable wire wheel for a spare if anyone knows of one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

My wife and I took about a 20 mile run this evening. Had to stop for icecream of course. The weather was great and the RPU ran perfect. Fresh cut hay,the smell of the lakes and back roads made for a great end to the week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 12:18 am:

Ross,
Your steering column is on the wrong side......
Harry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 01:05 am:

Harry, know you know that's not true . . just a mirror image, is all . .LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 03:56 am:

Harry, that steering column is clearly on the right side. The wrong side must be the opposite side.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 01:03 am:

Installed DOT fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 05:44 am:

Finished a few parts to send to France.

Just need to wear gloves next time I fill up coils with tar.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 08:57 am:

Removed the engine on my 14. I joined the two piece crank a couple of years ago and finally have the time and money to solve the issue. Next is a road trip to get the engine rebuilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 07:05 pm:

Made an adjustable stop, piloted counterbore tool for hog's head seal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

Last night my wife wanted to see if we could get any life out of the 11 Roadster project she bought a while back so I handed her the shop vac to suck the rust and dirt out of the gas tank and we checked everything over, hooked up the wires someone used for plug wires that it looks like something chewed in half, put a battery in it and some gas. When I got gas out of the drain on the carb I pulled the choke and turned it over a few times and then turned on the key. My rebuilt coils buzzed and it fired on the second pull. My wife jumped back and said it is smoking and I saw a spark. Found out the gasket was bad on the exhaust manifold but after a few more pulls it started and ran! Runs on mag too.

Today she came home and said she wanted to hear it run again so we did it again and then I had her start it. She got her first crank start today but I still think she wants to put a starter on it. Now she wants to put wheels on it with tires for some reason. Another T has come back to life. This one looks like it has not run in a few decades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 11:30 pm:

Worked on the new top all day. Will I finish tomorrow? Maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 09:13 am:

Scott, beautiful work. Is that for cutting an o-ring seat for the pedal shaft under the "pedal notches"?
TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 09:29 am:

Thank you...
Yes, but it is for a National Seal lip-seal (not o-ring)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 11:54 am:

Bought another mower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

Neat, Ron ! Cut off TT ?
I adjusted bands, always rewarded by "something" in the "lobster trap" - this time small bits of (?) wood form the previous band linings and some "peach fuzz" from the current set of Scandinavia bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 01:18 pm:

Yes Rich, TT. Chased this one for 6 years and finally gave up. Got the call out of the blue last Saturday that the owner was ready to let her go.

Was built by a nearby highway department in the mid-30s to mow the sides of the road. They used her into the 50s when she was sold off to a farmer in town. He used her to mow hay for a few years and then she was retired to a cow shed - where she sat until last weekend. She was fresh from the shed when I took those pictures.

(Message edited by Conversiont on June 12, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

Drove it every day on the Redwood Trees to Pacific Seas tour. The first day, the ammeter was swinging back and forth and the second day it went to zero. I tried jumping the cutoff with the engine running and got discharge. No problem, I crank started it and ran on mag from then on. Today, I installed a rebuilt generator which works.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Crosby Webster, NY on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 12:21 am:

After preparing the block, poring the bearings, line boring the main bearings, using Gene Frenches line boring setup, today I finished running In the Main Bearings. Now I have 3 more to do.

The youtube video shows the crank running in oil after running with Time saver for an half an hour to get the proper clearances.

You can see My efforts @
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJRMptqPNB4

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 05:47 pm:

Steering column. This will be the fifth time that I have had it out. I am currently disassembling the donor column and when that is done will remove the existing column. I will combine the best parts of both to get one really good one. Hope to have it done by the end of the month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:42 pm:

Ron
Nice new project

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 02:23 am:

Made a petcock photo for Martin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 05:53 am:

Thanks Bill - not like I needed another project right now, but waited a long time for this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:35 am:

LED light conversion. Now I can not only see things light up hundreds of feet away but others can see me and the ammeter shows healthier charge/discharge ratio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:30 am:

Prepping and painting a nicer set of windshield pillars for Betsy. Also, I obtained a set of rubber windshield seals and will install them when I have the windshield out for the pillar swap.

Many thanks to Larry Smith for guidance on the installation of the seals. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 01:26 pm:

My 22 cutoff touring has not been awoken from winter hibernation yet. Its mad at me I'm sure but I'm having too much fun with my new car. The new car is a 1948 Crosley Wagon, I think the brakes are actually worse on the Crosley lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 01:40 pm:

OT, but I wonder if Crosley Hot Shot front disc brakes will fit your wagon?

I have heard that the Crosley Hot Shot was the first production American car with front disc brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

Good question Mark. It has a cable brake system, I'm learning more about the little Crosley every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

.Yesterday I tightened #3 rod bearing and today I washed the car and took it to show third graders who visited our historical Museum. It ran good.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Heartbreak!

I decided to install the new windshield rubberr seals and nicer windshield posts onto Betsy this morning. I was almost finished when I looked up and noticed that the lower windshield had cracked, I must have applied too much pressure to it at some point.

Oh well, off to the glass shop (again). Next time I'll be more careful. :-(

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:17 am:

My steering column housing was bent right where the housing bolts under the dash. It was causing the steering shaft to bind so I straightened it.
here it is before.

and after it's not perfect but the steering shaft doesn't bind anymore

And for those who find these interesting I found this stamp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:30 am:

Took Nuthin Special to Pacific NW tool collectors meeting last Saturday. And everyone used it as for bench racing. Cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:30 am:

Tackling the *(@$%%^?"}& steering column in my '27. This will be the fifth time that it's been out of the car (for various reasons). I have two bad columns, but enough good parts to make one good one. The current problems are trying to get the steering wheel key out of the replacement column and trying to get the Decker steering wheel lock off of the column that I need to use. I'm at the point where I may just saw and grind it off. I hate to destroy an old accessory, but three different locksmiths and yours truly have failed to remove it in a delicate way. One way or another it's coming off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Finished another tour, the 2018 Poor Boy Tour thru the hills of TN and VA. Great tour and now time to wash the mountain dirt off the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin LaGrow on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

I got married and drove off with my beautiful bride in my grandpas 1926 model t. It has been a year since my original post on this forum asking for help when I didn't even know what a generator or starter looked like or even was for that matter.

(http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/773773.html?1500787050)

I couldn't have done it without the incredible amount of help and guidance from my local club, the Heartland T's of Oklahoma City. I found the club and told them that I would like to drive away in it in my wedding that was roughly 10 months from when I found them and they told me that I WOULD drive it on that date. They spent a countless number of hours as a group teaching me and helping me restore my grandpa's car. I am looking forward to the future tours and 4th of July parades with the club!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 07:12 pm:

Close the thread, Austin wins.

Congrats!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin LaGrow on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

Haha thank you! My grandma and family wanted me to have the car because my grandpa frequently told me that the nickname for the body style was the Dr's coupe and I am now about to start my 3rd year of medical school at OU this July.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

Congratulations! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

She married you even tho you had a model T? Hmmmm! Whats wrong with her?
Just yankin your chain Austin! Thats a great story. I see many happy years. Congrats! Oh and for getting married to. Thanks for sharing .
Drive safe and often!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Austin,
I think we need a write up of your T in the Model T Ford Times! Who mentioned that Hollywood was looking for stories like this?

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Austin LaGrow on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

Well hello, Mark! I kept the block off plates like you said haha.

Yeah she made quite the sacrifice marrying someone with a model t haha. Between school, working on the car and planning the wedding as much as I could I was pretty busy lol.

Thank you everyone. I've got pictures of most of the process! I'll share them in a new post here soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 01:16 am:

Kep !! Tell us more about that LED conversion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 09:17 am:

Austin,

Great Story!
I married my wife 28 years ago and drove her to the wedding reception in my 1934 Pontiac.
Unfortunately, I sold the car to put a down payment our first house.
Fortunately, 28 years later, I purchased my first Model T.
You're way ahead of me!

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 09:24 am:

Wept profusely when I realized that one of the two previous owners of my '24 Touring welded over the rivets on the steering column.

Waiting for a new wishbone (worn ball) and steering column from Bob B.
Should be a busy July!

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

Gene: Would you know if your replacement steering column has the 4 to 1, or 5 to 1 ratio ?? 5 to 1 would be standard for the improved 26-27 models with balloon tires, gives the driver an easier steer, less darting on road irregularities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Bob,

I'm not sure if my steering column has the 4:1 or 5:1 ratio.
When i take it apart, I'll let you know.

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 01:05 pm:

While searching for parts I took some time to begin cleaning up a set of wheels I bought a while back. On the right is the condition I started with. On the left is where I finished. It's taking me about 2 weeks per wheel. Another month and I'll be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

James??? the one on the left looks like a rear wheel with no brake drum, or is that an optical delusion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

Gene: The gears will have a number 5 stamped, the 4-1 will not be stamped

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

Im on the hunt for a couple 8 inch drums. Guess I should have put that in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 05:15 pm:

Because someone asked, here is how I prepped my car for LED.
My starter doesn't work so I can put a 12V battery in, if I was using magneto lighting I'd probably be able to sneak a rectifier diode it and use magneto. Or just put the LED lights in and it'd work without any modification, but they might blow up if I went too fast. I've heard of people putting 2 of the "1156 single contact 21 watt" style LED bulbs in magneto light cars with no issue, massive improvement in steadiness of light output.

Vinyl wrapped the reflectors, glued bulb holders in the oil lamps (might buy some oil wick parts one day). Worked well.
Went a little something like how they did in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSVaTQ6Mf6o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

Just working some of the bugs out of my Lizzie. These guys were in the sediment bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 06:03 pm:

Moved the Model T To the back of the garage so the local police could easily see the motor number on the Model A.

Next steps, register the A then spend some time following the A with the T while my wife enjoys the A.

Almost forgot, have to get a replica Chicago typewriter for the A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Budreau on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Not much of a car show guy, but took my Tudor and camper out to a show. Still working on trim and cosmetics on the camper.

Camper

Trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

I added a stop lamp for my 1925 Model T, a safety measure :-)

Stop light
Stop light

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

Took the runabout last Sunday to Danvers Ford, 25th annual car show. Oldest car there.

Tuesday was my version of cars and coffee

A few items to address before off to paint and upholstery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 08:09 pm:

George it was good to see you at the Danvers Ford car show. Your T is coming out awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

Adjusted the toe-in on the front wheels. Didnít notice it was so far off until too late ... and wore down a pretty good set of tires. Live and learn. I had assumed that the adjustment was correct when I took the car apart and left the tie rod as I found it. Just stripped off the old crud, painted it and drove with it that way for about 600 miles. Whoops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 10:18 pm:

James, thank you. Good to see you too. Hopefully next year it will be a completed car. Good luck with the Crosley. If you get the brakes figured out and are confident consider bringing it to Chestnut street in Salem in August

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 07:15 pm:

Drained and refilled rear end.
Took off back wheels and cleaned up excess oil that had saturated the brakes.
Packed rear grease cups.
Packed driveshaft and Trans grease cups.
Installed new gas tank.
Cleaned and reinstalled carb.
Changed oil.
Added water.
Charged battery.
Time to put fuel in it and check for leaks.
Then road test time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

I buffed the fresh 7 coats of lacquer after wet sanding with 100 grit paper. Now its on to the splash aprons and fenders!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

If there was a Like button David, I'd be hitting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

Is that a right hand drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

For wet sanding with 100 grit you got the sand scratches out good! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

Oops...that should be 1000 grit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 11:05 pm:

That sounds better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 01:58 am:

Finished up fitting the SB Chevy valves and making the manifold clamps. Next up is to balance the transmission drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 11:17 pm:

Got two of three floorboards made, other than that Iíve just been showing how easily amused I am.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Fordmodelt/permalink/10160400184810548/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tommy Winberry on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 12:20 am:

I got...the bones of one.

I've taken my first step into a larger world...

Dad gave me this chassis he got from a guy in Missouri. He was there to buy a '26 roadster, but the guy sent him home with a host of spare parts as well. Dad gave me this chassis so I could bring it back from the graveyard, to which I said "I don't know the first thing about restoring cars, but learning how to do it on a Model T sounds like fun!"

There's too much paint to read the frame number right now, but the engine is from June '26, so my goal is to have it in a parade by the time it's 100. I've got a long road ahead of me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 01:28 am:

It was family reunion weekend and the runabout was getting hard-starting (again!), so I had a couple of cousins, ages 9 and 13, fetch the plugs out of another car. There were lots of T rides both days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 06:39 am:

Tommy. I'm not sure that chassis has a frame number at all. Looks a little earlier than when they started stamping them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 05:34 pm:

Installed a fresh set of Ron Patterson reworked coils. Gracie runs like new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

Ordered one rear tire, one front tire, 2 x rear tubes and flaps to get the old TT dump project rolling on all 4 inflated tires. Had to go with 30 x 3 1/2 on the front since I had one new tire already mounted and two good wheels. I know they arenít right, but what the heck. Should be here in a day, at least thatís what Snyderís quoted me. Now if I only werenít going to VA for work, I could get them mounted Tuesday and show off some pics. -Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 12:21 am:

Went on a scouting tour to make sure the directions were correct. Saw this little beauty at a restaurant we stopped at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:02 am:

Tommy, Kep is onto something about a frame number. Yours will not have a factory one, as they started in 1926, and that frame is earlier. Like most such projects, you have a mixture of parts. Depending on what you want to do, that will give you and excuse to go hunting for bits of a particular year or you can just have fun working with what you have. Those forked headlight mountings are really early, pre 1916, and should be good bargaining chips if you want other stuff.

Welcome to the clan. You will learn a lot and meet some really nice folks on your restoration journey.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 04:23 pm:

I got my lower windshield back from the glass shop today to replace the one on Betsy that I accidently cracked a while back. All installed now with the rubber seals that were missing before. I even installed new MTFCA, MTFCI, and Calvin Coolidge stickers onto the new windshield. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 12:35 am:

My radiator developed a leak where the inlet attaches to the tank, so I decided to try a spare until I get it fixed.

I had to straighten a lot of the fins that were mashed in.

This definitely has to be a temporary thing. The petcock has been replaced with a bolt, so there's no draining this one.

The solder holding the neck is cracked so it leaks. That would be OK, as it leaves more than enough coolant to cover the baffles, but after a drive of about four miles I arrived home at a full boil. Apparently the fins have separated from the tubes enough to hinder radiation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 05:16 pm:

Doing a little bit of rear end repair for one of my customers there is no thrust washer left all gone Thanks again Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Friday, June 29, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

Just drive it a little. Maw and I have been out a few times for a Toodle. I think she likes it... Wha?
It's so sultry here, Roxy the cat didn't even want to get the little sparrow that was 3 feet away pecking in the gravel when we were sitting outdoors and the bird KNEW it...
She just talked about it, washed her face and laid down.
Took the 10 year old granddaughter for a spin (grammaw said "Take her with you." before we walked out of the house.) and let her drive down on the driveway.
She claims the low pedal is harder to push than the other T.
I'll have to check that or get her further input. :-)
The more I think about it, that completely wore out ol' T is easier to use than the mostly wore out one. Except for steering.
Too hot to work on the motor grader and it needs it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig bothwell on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 01:04 am:

Rear TT Wheel Bearing. Sort of...

Working on three T's. The TT truck. Replacing rear wheel bearings.
Not sure if the replacements that are being made now are all that good.

Anybody's thoughts ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 10:32 am:

Took the 26 RPU to breakfast and back home to feed livestock. Back to town when the bank opened. Seen a neighbor at the bank and told him my plans this morning. Going to the mill for horse feed, to auto parts in the next town for oil and filters for the modern iron and to the hardware for a U bolt for my T engine stand.
About a 30 mile round trip. He said" I hope you Have your cell phone" like the T may not make it. I told him I had no worries about that. 200 lbs of feed,3 cases of oil and no problems as usual. Good time this morning running errands in the 26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 11:54 am:

Installed new Bergís Radiator and fresh nickel plated shell :-)

(Message edited by AzBob on June 30, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

Finally sent my wheel parts to Stutzman's for rebuilding. Still looking to have the coupelet licensed and road ready by late August.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

Toolbox restored and installed. toolbox

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

Spare tire carrier acquired, painted and installed. A great month!spare tire carrier

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration