Do you wear a hat when you drive your T ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Do you wear a hat when you drive your T ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

For those who drive open air cars ... what type of hat do you wear? How well does it stay on .. and what about sunscreen on your face, neck and exposed arms in sunny weather?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

Mark, my two favourites are patchwork items in Harris tweed fabric. Google Hanna Hats. I have the ones which are one piece, but they have a fold around back and also fasten over the top, a bit like a deerstalker, but with no rear peak.

When the back flap is folded down it covers my ears, and the over-the-top part snaps closed around my chin. There's no way it can be blown off and it is cosily warm.

Summer fare is an Aussie made broad brimmed canvas hat with chin strap, much like the Canadian Tilley items.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

I wear a period looking newsboy cap. So far it has stayed on at Model T speeds with the top down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsboy_cap

I also have a period skimmer (straw hat), but there is no way it would stay on with the top down.

(Message edited by cudaman on June 02, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

I always wear a hat and sunscreen, I want to enjoy my trip while I am on it and afterwards. I have an old derby that I sometimes wear or a ball cap since an open car has no sun visor, as well as the reflection off my bald head could blind oncoming traffic. On a hot day I wear a hat until I get a good sweat going and then take it off and get the swamp cooler effect until the sweat dries up and by then the hat has cooled off and you get the swamp cooler effect all over again. It is what a friend calls snake belly technology because you can't get any lower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

In my speedster I have to wear a baseball cap. Nothing else will stay on at those speeds. In my touring I like to switch to a cowboy hat so I am better protected from the sun. I am almost bald on top so I have to wear some kind of cover. I only put suncreen on my cheek since I have a full beard. I let my arms tan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

I wear that same newsboy style cap. It sticks to my head very nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

Surprisingly, my bowler hat stays on very well. A backwards baseball cap does okay too.

Skin cancer isnít pretty, and it runs in my family. So, Iím pretty careful about wearing sunscreen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

The HCCA used to offer a newsboy-style hat with the logo. I wear it with a runaway strap, just in case. The brim is my visor.

The lack of a strap caused me to be without my 1907 Cadillac for three years. My hat blew off, I pulled all the way off the road onto the shoulder so I could walk back and retrieve my hat, and a jackass in an SUV went off the road and sent the Cadillac 30 feet. Now I use a strap.

I'm a very light-skinned, very blond- (now white-) haired guy who's had 5 malignant melanomas. The first one was 54 years ago; the doc said I had a 70% chance of living five years, so I guess I bought a good ticket in life's lottery. Sun block is a must!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 11:56 pm:

I wear my Amish hat with a string in back, charro style. A strong gale from the side has been known to dislodge it, but most of the time wind is no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 01:58 am:

I've got quite a collection of hats... a few Newsboys, a couple of Bowlers, a straw Boater and
some others. -My favorite was the Newsboy until I ran into a Greek Fisherman's Cap.

I know that sounds a bit odd, but it rather closely resembles the kind of cap horseless carriage
pilots wore with their linen dusters. -With a pair of replica antique goggles, the appearance is
almost perfect.

The look was featured in a fashion magazine and I "borrowed" the photo to use in a promo for
the first outing of the season of our local Horseless Carriage club.

To insure that the cap doesn't blow off, I use an elastic lanyard with a small alligator clip on
each end. -One end clips the back of the cap and the other, to my collar. -I use a spray-on
sunscreen when doing car-shows, but for the short-range driving I normally do, I don't bother
with the sun-screen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 08:35 am:

I bought one of those camouflage floppy Vietnam-era hats at a military surplus store. It has vents and a drawstring, so it's cool in Florida heat and it stays on. It's ugly as hell, but I'll use it until I find something better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Beary on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 09:34 am:

I wear a Stetson flat cap. Only way to go. Secure and sharp. My buddy accuses me of name dropping and putting on the Ritz. So I will pick him one up when we go out west in September. That will square us up for the army blanket that his wife made him give me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 09:38 am:

Typical baseball cap. Usually stays on except once in a while a gust of wind, especially from a passing Semi-truck blows it off, but it usually lands in the back seat. I've only had to stop and go get it 3 times in the last 5 years. Pretty good average.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Myers on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 09:49 am:

Stormy Kromer hats are expensive but they stay on your head.

https://www.stormykromer.com/

I don't own one. Yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 09:59 am:

Usually a free baseball cap and i was taught by my Uncle Sam to wear a hat.I was also taught when and where to remove my hat.Nothing pisses me off more than to see a dolt in a church with a hat on a empty head.Grumpy Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 10:00 am:

If you're short enough the wind won't take your hat ! ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 11:29 am:

To the top !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F Stephens-Marcle , N.C. Triangle on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

Dale, thanks for the headware link, great stuff!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 09:14 am:

OMG Rich, I'm laughing my butt off that pic!
Figured you'd come up with something like that!!
You're gaining on the venerable Perry Kete!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 01:43 pm:

I wear my Tilley
Those who have one know what I am talking about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration