Camping near THF?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Camping near THF?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 10:02 am:

I've been a camper for 72 years that I remember, and probably before that. Yesterday I went looking for a campground reasonably close to Greenfield Village. Most of the places I found were RV parks, not campgrounds, and the nearest actual campgrounds were farther away than I'd like. Anybody know of a place within a half hour Model T drive where I can pitch a tent?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 11:30 am:

To the top !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 01:42 pm:

The RV park down the road from us has tent spaces too. You might want to call and ask .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Steve,

Figuratively speaking ....

Lowe’s & Home Depot have safe parking lots with free WiFi.

If you can sack out in your Model T .....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

I think there is a KOA about 30 miles west on 94.We camped there when we hauled our enclosed car trailer in back of the 5'th wheel once.That was the year the international tour spent part in the HF and i broke a crankshaft.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

Jim, that's a mighty big IF in a little Ford roadster. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 08:27 am:

Steve,
The ideal answer for you is a Telescopic kamper which was designed for a Model T roadster.

Original period body, self contained, easy removable to replace Turtle deck, better than a tent.
tele kamp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 10:26 am:

Steve,

You're more than welcome to in our back yard! As long as you don't mind trains... we live right off the CSX mainline. I'm about 15 minutes west of THF straight down Michigan Ave.

We might even let you use the indoor plumbing too. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 10:49 am:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a8aaf87f-fe8a-4e58-9697-bc09b49b5d87

:-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 01:10 pm:

When I went to the Henry Ford back in 03 I think it was,we camped at the Greenfield something campground not far from Dearborn. My memory is not good but I coulda sworn I saw spots that would work for a tent but I can't be sure.
I know it was raining bad that 1 day and if there was a tent out there,the occupants would have been miserable.
I tried that tent camping a couple times. I just could not get used to nothing between me and no telling what but some thin canvas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

Camping and driving a T is a great day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

Jason,

That is a very generous offer.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

Steve, there are mobile homes and campers allowed in some areas of THF property. Things may have changed, though. I would strongly suggest you call THF about the possibility.
Otherwise, we are about 20 minutes from THF and, if you want, there is my backyard. You'd have access to our shower and bathroom and, coffee. You could leave your T at the Village and drive in with us modern. We leave pretty early in the morning each day, so , you would't miss much. Think about it. You'd be more than welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 12:29 am:

Back in the mid 70's when we drove to Hershey we always stopped at the HFM. The safest place to camp or park our motor home was provided by the Dearborn Police Department. They provided electrical hook up and we dry camped. It was well lit and very safe.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 06:18 am:

Thanks, Jim! Don't let it be said I'm not a generous guy. ;)

Of course, Marty's offer of Grosse Pointe Shores is much nicer. We were just at Grosse Pointe Sail Club to perform a color guard event on Memorial Day. I could get used to that by the water livin'.

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

https://freecampsites.net/#!20900+Oakwood+Blvd,+Dearborn,+MI+48124

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

Steve, that's a nice looking "40 Plymouth Sedan in the first picture.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 07:25 pm:

Jason, I only WISH I could afford to live in Grosse Pointe Shores!!! That's the ritzy Pointe. I live in lowly Grosse Pointe City!

Are you in the Pointes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

LOL no, Marty, I live in Wayne. We are vaguely off the lovely Rouge, though. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 11:16 pm:

Last year at the OCF we 'camped' at the Dearborn Inn. What an incredible experience. I'll never sleep on the ground again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

I agree, James. The Dearborn Inn is very nice, and ties into Henry Ford history nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

And there's the constant coming and going of old cars, and opportunities to meet and talk with the car owners and guests, many in period regalia. Last year there was a red Model K parked prominently at the entrance to the Inn when we arrived.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 01:01 pm:

James, Who do you suppose owns that red Model K that you saw? Was it a Roadster by chance? Just wondering.... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 02:09 pm:

I saw the K also. The guys name was Ron or Rob or something like that.
I think it needed a top to. Maybe we will see it here on the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 02:43 pm:

Not Sure. Must have been a trusting soul, camera and goggles left on the seat, no doors to lock, no top,,, Might have been the guy in the pub we saw later, who seemed friendly, almost social. Any way, that added a lot to our OCF 'experience".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

i hope you find a spot - send us pictures!

here is my camp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

You might see the 640 roadster at Millers Bar at suppertime.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 04:14 am:

Does anyone know if there will be weekend parking/camping for motorhome/trailers??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 05:04 am:

Nice campsite Linus T! Sorry I won't see you on facebook.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 06:50 am:

Linus, now that's what I call camping in style. Beautiful Lincoln. I let a reasonably priced Original 28 Phaeton slip through my fingers about ten years ago, I don't know if that was a smart thing or not. They are beautiful cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 09:12 am:

Dave, I think so. But ask here to be sure: http://www.cvent.com/events/old-car-festival-2018/contactus-2c21b4ecfe2546d1a634 eec01ea26999.aspx

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration