Gas Help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Gas Help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Ternove on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

Hello everyone I am new at this ...What is the best gas to put into a Model T thanks for your help and were do I get it I am in the southeast corner of Penna. 19063 area

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 02:26 pm:

Your T will probably run fine on commonly available regular unleaded, my '24 does. Some people try to find gas without any ethanol in it, but mine seems to burn the commonly available ethanol/gas mix just fine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

That was one of the questions i had when i got my first T. I just use regular cheep. Once the carburetor was tuned to this it runs well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

Whatever the cheapest quality gas you can get today is way better than the stuff they had then!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 03:13 pm:

I ran a T on Everclear back in the 60s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

We use unleaded with no ethanol add a little Marvel Mystery oil and lead substitute. Works great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

If your carb has a modern style Grose Jet float valve that is less than 10 years old, try to use ethanol free ("recreational") gas exclusively. The newer GJs are sensitive to ingredients that aren't gasoline and are liable to stick open or closed.

An original style float valve should be fine with regular gas sold today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

With less than 4 to 1 compression ratio why would you even consider using high octane gas?
Where, WHERE can you still buy leaded gasoline? WHERE??
Why do folks keep saying “unleaded” when leaded gas has not been available for decades?
The only choice you have in gasoline is you can pay a little more for gas with an additive to make it burn slower so real high compression engines don’t ping on a hard pull or acceleration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 04:15 pm:

The Model T was manufactured before tetraethyl lead was used as an octane-booster (In fact, sometime around 1915, Ford reduced the compression ratio of its Model T engines in response to a general lowering of gasoline octane across the nation caused by unanticipated fuel production demands. -The Model T Ford's horsepower dropped from 22 to 20 as a result of the modification).

The point is, the Model T Ford will run quite happily on unleaded fuel because that's the type on which it was originally designed to run. -What it wasn't intended to use was "gasohol." - Yeah, I know we don't call it that anymore, but of course, I'm talking about gasoline that is blended with up to 10% ethanol (alcohol).

That stuff is just plain lousy for antique cars, so if you can find a source of pure gasoline, unadulterated by alcohol, you'd be better off. - One of the problems with ethanol-infused gasoline is that after, oh, maybe a month, the alcohol and gasoline begin to separate out like an oil and vinegar salad dressing. -Then water is attracted to the alcohol and all kinds of nasty things can happen.

There is an enzymatic product of rather good repute that keeps these bad things from happening to modern gasoline... Star-Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. -The link to that product's info is here:

http://www.starbrite.com/startron

I use the stuff in my Model T and the engine seems to like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

https://www.pure-gas.org

Looks like you have a few options in your area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

Aaron, non ethanol gas, which is unleaded, is available in a lot of places except California and a few other places where people have gone nuts. I use it because it has a longer shelf life and with stabilizer it saves me from draining the tanks before long term storage. It is the same octane rating as regular ethanol gas. That said, our T's run just fine on gas with 10% ethanol and no lead but I have a shed full of outboard motors and small engine yard equipment that have been destroyed by that ethanol crap so for me it is non ethanol unleaded. It's not the octane, it's the ethanol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 05:15 pm:

Like Aaron, I'm mystified as to why people still designate regular gas as "unleaded" when ALL grades have been unleaded for decades.

The least expensive (I refuse to say cheap) gas you can find is fine for a Model T. Except for long-term storage, ethanol or not doesn't matter (if your carburetor has a stock float valve). I agree that ethanol gas let to sit for several months can gum up the works. "Lead substitute" and other snake oil additives are a waste of money.

Dale's postcard demonstrates that people were having trouble with apostrophes a hundred years ago too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

I have access to leaded gas. It's for aviation use but I wouldn't use it in my Model T. It's too expensive and the octane is higher than needed. When you're running a supercharged 540 cu in Lycoming 6, you need the good stuff.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration