Where are the burners?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Where are the burners?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

I notice that often kerosene lights are offered for sale without the burners. Where are the burners? Is the seller keeping them? New burners are expensive. So buying a side or tail light without a burner, might mean paying more for the burner than for the light. When such a side or tail light is offered the ad should state if the burner is missing. Burners vary and the burner is sometimes unique to the make of light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

I shopped at Lehman's last year and they have an assortment of burners. One example is this:

https://www.lehmans.com/product/dietz-oil-lantern-burners-monarch-burners/

On my next road trip I plan to bring mine with me to see if they have anything close to what my cars use. I don't agree with all the dimensions they show in their illustration and I recall there looked to be some that are close to what I use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 04:38 am:

I had some no name black and nickel square lamps.
I lit them a number of times,as these were on one of my contraptions with mag lights.They worked exceptionally well.
Someone wanted them for his 13-14 era non T,and we made some kind of deal.
Anyhow... I decided to put new wicks in them and fill them up with oil for the man.
Only then did I notice the burners were real chintzy.Had a little oval Taiwan sticker still legible.
Then it struck me.These were the identical burners that were in some little red tin Christmas carriage lights that Mom bought at KMart for probably 99 apiece.I showed the guy that was getting them and he said,hell,he was going to electrify them anyway.
So,I kept the burners,wicks and oil.
Maybe something like that would be cheap and easily adaptable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 07:38 am:

That's probably why so many don't have burners. Everyone seems to want to electrify them. It would be interesting to know what percentage of us actually USE our oil lights as they were intended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 07:54 am:

I have bought several pairs that have been fitted with mains lamp holders and bulbs for use on houses (at front door ?). One pair well done and others questionable. Perhaps some get bought for that, have burners pulled out, someone decides "it's too hard" and get sold off & burners separated / lost ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

I light my kerosene lamps on the '14 in mid-late afternoon when most of the modern cars have their running lights on as well. Use your lamps. They let the other drivers see you.

Night before last, four teen-age grand children wanted to go riding here in west Houston. We were out in the touring for about an hour until 9:30 p.m. so I was burning the acetylene headlamps too. In the city where there are street lights and other lighting, it is as much about "being seen" as "seeing the road".

Keeping the Model T kerosene lamps ready to light is about the easiest thing I do on that touring car and it tickles me the lengths folks go to electrify them.

I imagine a lot of fonts and burners have fallen off cars through the years. However, a lamp without a burner is like a bar without beer! Not worth near as much... I get your point!

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:50 am:

Burners all disappeared. I had to buy old kerolamps to get the burners from them to put in my lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:48 am:

Hal, I use mine! And the acetylene lamps too!

Still all lit up after a 12 mile drive home from
a local friday night car show. Oncoming drivers loved it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:27 am:

Beautiful Pick Up Tim.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

Thanks John! As you can see, I'm way behind in my forum reading!! LOL. Just got back from a car show in the same truck. Nice night.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration