Touring the Old Lincoln Highway with Friends

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Touring the Old Lincoln Highway with Friends
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Coyle on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 01:51 am:

We've been having a great time driving across Ohio and Indiana. The Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum in Auburn Indiana was excellent. We're getting ready to see Illinois next.

Camping as we go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 02:37 am:

Bill,
Which route did you take west of Fort Wayne?
What is now U.S.33 (original alignment), or the 1928 route?Which is now Washington Center Rd.In Allen County,anyway.
If you took the 1928 route,two t roads,then the second cross road west of the U.S.33/Washington Center Rd.intersection, you drove for ¼ of a mile along the north border of the farm I grew up on.
I used to explore all the little minor realignments and straightened curves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 03:16 am:

Also,I recommend anyone doing something of this sort get your hands on a period copy of the AAutomobile Blue Book for that particular area of the country.
Gives written instructions.
For example: Leave town going west on Main St.At miles 2.6,bear laft with streetcar tracks.
3.2 miles,take right fork at school.Avoid left turn at church 4.1.....
Obviously, to do it right you need an odometer or GPS.
Using one of these guides,I found things on obscure side roads I had no clue exited, in an area I thought I was familiar with.
Example.One route from a town in my area to Chicago,I had trouble figuring what the hell they were talking about.
Finally,I figured out this section of road had to be a dead end gravel road I had driven past countless times.Since it was not in my immediate home area,I did not know the farmer(s) that lived on it.
My main fascination was there had been a gas station on this section,so sayeth the Blue Book,and I had all the early gas stations that existed around spotted and mapped.That I knew of anyway.
Expecting perhaps to be shot at,I went back this three quarter mile private road.
Using the logic that whoever lived back there would realize a Model A Roadster would make a piss poor burglary and getaway car about 1998,I proceeded.
What I found was an absolutely intact,reasonably maintained WW One era gas station,complete with one visible pump and newer pumps they were using for their own fuels.
Furthermore, that farm had been in there family since they stole it from the Indians,a old uncle so and so built that station,etc.
They loved my A,and didn't get all pissy that I had coolers of beer on ice in the rumble and bound on the fenders.Along with camping equipment.
I camped the night and the two oldest guys helped me get rid of some of that beer.
Great days,great days!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 05:31 am:

Wonderful Tread! I hope it grows and grows with updates and lots more pictures.
And Jim E, That is a fantastic tale you told. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 06:19 am:

Wayne,you are welcome.
But,sad news.A short time ago,I got on a satellite site and looked at that area.
The dead end road only goes back a short distance off the paved road. Farther back,everything is being farmed.No trace of two big late 19th century farmhouses, likewise the two big barns,misc outbuildings.
And,of course,the gas station was gone.
Dammit,I was raised to be at least a part time farmer. Yes,we did away with and plowed over a few old things,and we debated it at the time.
Yes,I understand modern huge farm equipment was not meant to maneuver around little farmyards, old orchards, and patches of fabulous,and rare,patches of old growth timber.
But these greedy bastard modern farmers that can't wait to destroy and plow over.
In '06,when we moved to our previous very rural address,in the surrounding townships there were a dozen or more ruins of brick 1900 era schoolhouses.Come the high soybean prices,almost all were obliterated by huge farmers that came in paying huge rent.
Made Me Physically Ill.
I hope they lose their asses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 08:30 am:

Have driven the N.J. portion often. There was a push to mount a plack on the building where it started in (I believe) Times Square. Don't know the out come of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 09:02 am:

I'll bet your campsite drew some attention from other campers :-) More photos please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 09:10 am:

Bill...fantastic hearing about your trip. Good luck, and great,safe touring for you and your friends! Keep the pics coming!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 09:27 am:

Lincoln Hwy travels through Batavia, IL (40 miles west of Chicago) where the route is Rt. 31. I live a block off of Rt. 31. You are welcome to call me (630 244 2285) if you would like to meet up, or if you need assistance.
Safe travels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 09:46 am:

Bill, Wish I were there with you, looks like a lot of fun. Also explains why you missed our picnic on Sunday. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 10:12 am:

I took part of it while is Auburn, California last weekend. From Reno, there is a north route, and a south route.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 10:22 am:

What a great adventure. Go for it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Coyle on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 11:08 pm:

Thanks for all the great comments! We made it halfway through Illinois today staying near Mendota. Haven't been following the Lincoln all the time but definitely sticking to the back roads!

An original roadside marker

A Wilmington Illinois photo op

Roadside rest, planning the next part of the route. We use the Delorme state maps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Love the trailer! How does it tow with the touring? Looks like it could have a little weight to it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Coyle on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

The trailer is a actually a camper made out of sassafras and is fairly light. The touring pulls it well with a 10 tooth pinion and a ruckstell. It also runs a Giant power head. He told me it runs a speedalator on the intake too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 02:15 am:

More wonderful photos! Thanks again for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 05:52 am:

Your friend Art says “ Hello “ from Ohio ....

He can’t seem to post for some reason.

Great Thread - keep the pictures coming !

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 09:31 am:

Bill...looks like you're having a great time! Good for you guys. And only a Model T can park in front of a fire plug without getting ticketed!! ;)

Wonder what kind of gas mileage the touring with the trailer is getting...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Coyle on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 10:26 am:

Tim, the touring used about the same amount of gas as the Coupe and my Roadster, I was impressed with how well it did. We travelled about 30 to 34 mph on the good roads with lots of starts and stops. And a few tough hills, (just small ones according to them).

We pulled into my house Thursday night after visiting with Joe Bell, 1300 miles for me. They made it back to West Virginia Friday night with about 500 additional miles. Was a great trip, only trouble was a little rod knocking on the 27 coupe, which Jim took care of in the time it took me to change oil!

Waiting on the swing bridge over the Mississippi in Fort Madison Iowa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Coyle on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 10:27 am:

26 Coupe Yard art

Close up of the headlight setup mid 26 I'd guess. my early 26 roadster uses the same lights but without the fender support bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Coyle on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 10:52 am:

A few more pics of the great folks we met along the way.

I asked if she ever drove one.. with a big smile, Peg said her and a girlfriend used to "steal" her friend's brother's T roadster and ride around Richmond IN.. Great Stories. One commented on how the T is a great conversation starter, and I agree... lots of smiles!

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 11:30 am:

Enjoyed all the photos :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 03:29 pm:

Thank you for sharing more tales and pictures! Touring the countryside with friends and a couple model Ts is a wonderful way to enjoy some time.
But, hey! Did you know a couple of clowns are sitting in one of the cars? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 12:08 am:

Bill Coyle, you were 4 miles from my house when you stopped in Wilmington, IL for the photo op. Looks like it was a nice trip.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration