2018 Montana 500

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 2018 Montana 500
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

Just a few days away. Anyone going?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 05:05 pm:

Well, I was hoping that YOU were?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 05:36 pm:

Tom is Synonymous with The Montana 500 .....

They should call it - Toms Run

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 07:17 pm:

I intend to go, if I can get my T to hit on all four. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 01:27 am:

Im going!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 11:34 am:

Tom and Mike, Those of us out here in Model T land really enjoy reading about and seeing pictures of the Montana 500. And, naturally, we anxiously look forward to the daily and final results. The performance you get from your T's is almost unbelievable to many of us who just want our T's to run well and dependably and stop promptly.

Keep up the good work and keep those updates and pictures coming! :-)

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 09:56 am:

I'll try to post some stuff. I get caught up in the action and sometimes forget to keep folks updated. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Tom, Thanks for your post and efforts to keep us up to date on the happenings at the 2018 Montana 500

Best wishes to all of this years participants for a safe, enjoyable and trouble free endurance run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 01:28 pm:

Good Luck to All and Have a Safe Run.

We'll all be watching for info about this years 500 and how the cars run.

Tom and others, Thanks for posting and

Wish I was There!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

Tom:

Looking forward to see your updates on the 2018 Montana 500.

When it is over please e-mail me as I have on loan some of Don/Clem Englmann's old films of the race. Unfortunately they are mixed in with many other events. I hope shipping both ways will not be to expensive.

I hope you will be able to transfer them to modern media and post on you tube as you have done in the past.

I wish everyone an enjoyable, safe and happy 2018 Montana 500.

Arnie

P.S. Happy fathers day Tom!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

Is there a tour planned for the Thursday (June 21st) following the race? Someone asked me about it earlier today.
Harry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 06:35 pm:

Arnie, that is good news. Thanks Mike, and thanks for once again sponsoring the Montana 500.

We had about half a dozen last minute cancellations. Looks like about 20 cars in the trophy class and four or so in the touring class.

There have been some posts made to Facebook.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

Is there a website for this event?

I have a coworker that is seriously looking it building a fast speeder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

Their WEB SITE : http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/indexnonrefresh.html

Speedsters can tag along in a non-competitive class.
The actual race is for "Stock" Model T's as defined by the rules of the Race.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 12:03 am:

Day one results:

More on Facebook page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 12:15 am:

Day two results:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:20 am:

Tom C, You are moving up! Robison family still showing strong as usual. Mike S following close. I see several other names I recognize from past years. I do hope to see this in person yet some day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:25 am:

See it Wayne! blow the dust of a T and be in it!
It's on my bucket list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 08:57 am:

Avg. Speed nearly 53 mph ! Tom C, you and the other participants are daredevils for sure.
Im so impressed by you guys. And so are my friends in Norway . They can hardly believe the speed you drive this stock model Ts.
Fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 10:28 am:

I see that Mike Cuffe is no longer on the list, hope he's ok . . ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 01:05 pm:

Tom, Thanks for posting!

Always interesting to hear about what type of breakdowns happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

2018 final results:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 05:02 pm:

We kept hoping Mike Cuffe would run at least one day with us. He couldn't make it due to a family commitment.

(Message edited by tom_carnegie on June 20, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

Congratulations Tom and Jillian!! You've both been in the winner circle before but I'm sure another win is always very Sweet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 11:01 pm:

Tom:

Congratulations on your winning the 2018 edition of the Montana 500! I hope everyone had a safe and fun time during this event! How was the weather--hot, cold, rain, high humidity etc.?

I try to tell one of my fiends to keep his maximum speed under 30 mph. Now, if my friend see's this he will say Tom goes an average speed of 52.92 MPH!!! Now I will have a harder time trying to keep my friend keep his speed down!

Arnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 11:10 pm:

Tom, congratulations on winning the 2018 Montana 500. I have to assume you were successful in getting your car hitting on all 4 most of the time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

Must have been a little head wind some times, last year was 54.67 mph average for the winner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 01:23 am:

Rain the first two days. Terrible wind that seemed to constantly shift into a head wind somehow. Day three was nice weather, but windy.

Here is my timing sheet.

timingsheet

(Message edited by tom_carnegie on June 21, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 09:14 am:

I can't imagine going 50+ mph in a T on wet pavement! It's scary enough when it's dry. You guys are crazy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 09:59 am:

I've been in Model T's that scared me at 35 mph. If your car is set up properly, driving 50 or even 60 mph down the highway is no big deal. We have been doing this for close to 60 years and no one has been hurt yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

Years ago, when we got real gasoline, most well restored model T Fords could do about 50 mph. Basically stock touring cars with the top up were sometimes clocked at slightly over 60 mph. Now, they may not have been able to SURVIVE that speed for too many miles, but the car could do it. I drove several standard model Ts at speeds like that, and feel comfortable at those speeds provided traffic and road conditions are good for for them. I usually avoid commenting on the "proper speed to drive a model T" threads as my experience goes against the prevailing opinion. That (I am rather outspoken usually), and I don't like the idea of encouraging people to go outside their comfort zone in what could be an unsafe manner.
What makes the Montana 500 cars so amazing, is that they can do such speeds for such distances. The workmanship and attention to detail in order to accomplish this on these cars is incredible!

I do hope to one day see and maybe even participate in the Montana 500! I don't think I will ever have the time or the money to build a competitive car, but just following behind as fast as I thought the car could handle would be a lifelong dream come true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 06:08 pm:

And CONGRATULATIONS! To all that participated, and especially the ones in or near the top of the list.
A wonderful showing indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

I can vouch for Tom's roadster. A few years back, he took me for a ride in it. That baby was smooth as silk - and would run like a scalded dog.
Apparently it ran like one this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

So what were the breakdowns and any penalties?

I'm always interested in what happened and issues that other cars had. Sort of like to learn from others mistakes or mishaps so the same doesn't happen to me.

On two different races I did, One problem near the end of the race was a valve keeper pin. The second time was a coil failed but I changed it at the next stop of course suffering a big time loss on the uphills.

Anyone care to post?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 01:14 am:

On the first day we had several penalties for going over the speed limit in towns assessed one minute a mile over limit.On the second day just one over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

Drivers of the 2018 Montana 500.

Front row: Coke Bottle
Second row: L to R Tony Cerovski, Janet Cerovski, Jillian Robison, Nan Robison, Erica Cerovski.
Third row: Ed Delzer, Sergio Hernandez, Garrett Green, Russell Hanna, Bill Mullins, Mike Stormo, Dennis Powers.
Back row: Matt Hansen, Ralph Brevek, Tom Carnegie, Rick Carnegie, Rick Bonebright, Mike Robison, Dan Powers, Brandon Langel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration