Nickel Plate radiator surround

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Nickel Plate radiator surround
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David CARNAHAN on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 12:31 am:

Hello.....I'm building a '17 speedster and want a nickel plated radiator instead of brass. Are there any vendors out there who can/will build one?

Thanks
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 03:00 am:

Dave, when they were available, they were such a poor fit, they were more trouble than they were worth. You may be able to snag one that somebody gave up on. Otherwise, you need to find a good original and have it plated, At considerable cost.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 05:48 am:

There's one on eBay. Expensive though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David CARNAHAN on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 11:40 am:

Thanks Gents....I appreciate your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 12:02 pm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-27-ford-model-t-radiator-shell-chrome-made-in-the-us a-very-rare/182993768531?hash=item2a9b475053:g:BcUAAOSw1QpaSthu
I think this is the one John was talking about^.
While it is listed as 17-27 chances are it is a tall shell, probably used on a "23" T-bucket. Might be one that Allan was talking about. With the crack in the shell, my OP, way over priced. if you are going to get one plated you would need to start with one that was in really good condition and make sure it is 1917-23 low shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

Nice looking shell, but for a modern ramrod. No lacing holes ,no moonting tabs or clip indent for hood rod.

Otherwise it looks remarkable.

As A.B. DownUnder was saying the best bet is to find a good orig. Shell and have it plated., Yes, it will cost a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 01:10 pm:

Wow, didnt see that one. This is a real one, it was the one I was thinking about. Now that I click on it I see its pretty beat up, and way overpriced.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Radiator-Grille-Cowl-Hot-Rod-Rat-Rod-FREE- SHIPPING/332677937654?hash=item4d752679f6:g:h1QAAOSwuxFYwc8F

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

You also must be sure of the size. Late '23 threw 27 were a diff. size shell. If your car is truly a '17, then the shell you need would be for '17/'22.
Just a thought. , the Nickel shells by Ford were made of brass, so it would nickel better. With steel it will have to be brass plated before the nickel plate goes on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

I picked up a nice 26 nickel plated brass shell at Hershey last year for $225. This would be the high one.

(Message edited by AzBob on June 08, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

17-23: Low. 24-27: High.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 01:50 pm:

Steve, Thanks for clarification. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

David, a 1917 model requires a low shell. There is an easy way to tell this from a later high shell. Low shells have the side panels at right angles to the front panel. The two side panels will then be parallel to each other.

High shells have the side panels splayed outwards at the rear so these panels follow the line of the hood side panels.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

David
IF you can find a good steel one then a couple of options;
1. Get it nickle plated
2. Check out getting it powder coated. Worth looking into

I got a set of hubcaps for my 67 F100 project powder coated and they turned out nicely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 01:16 pm:

I have one I bought a year ago at auction for the 27 touring my wife just sold. It fit the radiator fine but was not "splayed" outwards as Allan so nicely described it. I gave $300 for it thinking it will cost that or more to get one plated. This one is still in the box and is perfect but now I have no reason to keep it if anyone is interested. Only thing is it would be for the tall radiator not the short like the 17 would use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

Bob Sent you a G mail message. Would love the shell Thanks Eck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

Eck,

I would love to sell it to you but I don't think it will look right (fit wise) on your 26. The shell you have should be wider where it meets the hood and not as wide at the front where the headlight bar passes in front of the car. This one is the same width both front and back where the hood fits. It might fit better on a 25 or earlier car or speedster but I don't have one to try it on. I just don't want you stuck with it if it is not going to work for you.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

Bob, sounds like the one you have is one of the reproductions I mentioned earlier. You gave up on it too. because the sides were not splayed, they could never fit a high radiator car. With work, it could be cut down on the sides to fit a low radiator, but they still need the neck hole reforming. The Ford script on the front is a bit 'off' too from memory.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

If you are building a 1917 speedster, and not a T bucket, then the correct radiator for 17 would have been a low radiator and shell. If not wanting to stick with 1917 correct parts, a 1923 to 27 tall radiator and shell can be used. Only 26-27 shells were originally nickle plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 10:33 am:

Which radiator do you have, the one with the 3/8" mounting holes or the larger holes that takes the thimbles? (they changed around 1920)
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3975-76B.aspx
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3975-76BEQ.aspx

If your radiator is the small hole and the shell you used is the larger hole, you will need to hold the shell mounting ears in place somehow, larger stain-less steel washer might work. The 1920 up lower thimble locked the shell and radiator in place so they didn't slide back and forth. The 1917-20 with the 3/8" stud/hole did the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

Here are some pictures of the shell I have. I also had my wife hold the tape measure while I took a couple shots of the plated shell and the 26/27 shell we have for my wife's 26 Touring she is working on. Both of these shells fit the radiator just fine but one is almost an inch wider at the point where it fits to the hood and the other (plated) shell does not fit right with the hood. I don't have a car to show it on since hers is in a pile now.

If you open the hood and check across the back side of the radiator from side to side you should get 20 3/4. The plated shell is 19 3/4 wide at the same point. The top hood sections will not fit the shape of this shell and it will look funny from the side also. I did not know this when I bought this shell. This would fit and look great on a speedster and maybe an earlier car. I am posting this here to save others from buying one of these shells for a 26/27 and finding out what I learned from this one a year ago.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 08:30 am:

Bob, it sure looks like the repro we bought for my brother in law's 25 T. The Ford script is a little deeper pressed and not quite the usual shape. The neck hole is not properly formed. The inner edge is not pressed down like the originals. The sides are not splayed so the shell is narrower at the rear. It could be made to fit a low radiator car by cutting down the sides and reforming the mountings at the bottom. That would ruin the plating job though.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration