Howell Sheetmetal status?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Howell Sheetmetal status?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wing - Albuquerque, NM on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 01:35 pm:

I've been trying to follow-up on an order that I placed and paid for in March for a complete 1925 rear seat assembly. I've sent an e-mail and have left a few voice mails but haven't heard from the company yet. Does anyone know if Howell Sheetmetal is still in business? If so, does anyone have any information on how to reach them? I have used their 800 number and 409 area code numbers and I do get the voice recording to leave them a message.

I need to make a decision now whether to continue to wait for the new rear seat assembly, or get a refund and move forward restoring the one I have.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 01:44 pm:

Mark,

You should take a look at this thread. It might just explain the troubles you are having.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/871329.html?1528178246

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

A few years ago I called them about 7:30 AM on a week day and they answered after 2 rings. Lucky I guess. Most other times it was a real hassle to contact them.

I would call Langs and see how they deal with them. They list there sheet metal products in their catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wing - Albuquerque, NM on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

Thank you for the responses and link to the other thread of only 4 days ago. I didn't realize that the topic had been discussed so recently.

It does answer the question about whether they're still in business. I suppose my order is still in their queue somewhere so I'll try to be patient for a little longer. My goal is to have my 1925 touring ready for our annual club tour scheduled in September. Not having the rear seat assembly is preventing me from finishing and being able to paint the body.

Thanks,
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

They have been notorious for this for years. I don't understand how businesses survive when they seem to go out of their way to p.o. customers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 03:50 pm:

There are descendents of the Pilgrimís who landed on Plymouth Rock still waiting on sheet metal parts from Howells ordered in the 1500ís........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

By reading the thread that Terry (above) posted, the last line of the last post in that thread accurately explains the whole problem:

Jim Eviston said that,...."The ol' man himself (Howell's) told me that he prefers not to deal with retail customers."

I can verify that with an experience that I had:

Those of you who remember "Trish" when she worked for Langs, told me that she could get Howell's to send me what I needed from them. She was right, and I got the sheet metal panel I needed within two weeks. Obviously, Howell's paid attention to Trish's request, as she represented Langs, and as the "ol' man" from Howell's told Jim Evistion (indirectly) he paid much more attention to Trish (Lang's) than he would have to me, a retail customer.

FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 04:31 pm:

By reading the thread that Terry (above) posted, the last line of the last post in that thread accurately explains the whole problem:

Jim Eviston said that,...."The ol' man himself (Howell's) told me that he prefers not to deal with retail customers."

I can verify that with an experience that I had:

Those of you who remember "Trish" when she worked for Langs, told me that she could get Howell's to send me what I needed from them. She was right, and I got the sheet metal panel I needed within two weeks. Obviously, Howell's paid attention to Trish's request, as she represented Langs, and as the "ol' man" from Howell's told Jim Evistion (indirectly) he paid much more attention to Trish (Lang's) than he would have to me, a retail customer.

FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

If you're in no hurry to complete your project then sit and wait but if you would like to complete your project and have time to enjoy riding in the T and joining others on tours and such then I suggest requesting a refund and ordering from a vendor. My guess is that after 4 months they can't return a call they really don't want to deal with individuals and if that is true then they shouldn't accept orders unless they are from vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

In someways they have a corner in the T sheet metal market for the most part. There may be a few others but not many that I know of.
That's why it's frustrating. They really don't have any competition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

I learned a long, long time ago to plan on needing sheet metal 6 months out and with that mindset, Howells has never let me down.

They did surprise me once...ordered something and it showed up within a week.

Their stuff is good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

Just a thought------Rootleibs(spelling) in Turlock, Ca? I have ordered fender's for two vehicles and have not a problem. Real happy with the guys here in Turlock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

Agreed. I have bought from Rootlieb and received the product without delay. But I haven't checked to see if they and Howell's produce all the same items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 11:18 am:

Howell's makes a majority of body panels for T open cars. Rootliebs makes mostly fenders. The last time I went to Chickasha Howells was selling T fenders. Maybe they are now making fenders also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

I too have purchased parts from them and had slow delivery but bought some T patch panels off eBay from them 2 years ago and had them in 4 days to Georgia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

back in the days when i was building bodies for a living i had a lot of people that would restore the running gear, then say that do you mean i cant get a body for 6 months to a year. so here is what i think if you cant do it yourself get it done frist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 04:59 pm:

Howells is the only game in town. They supply many vendors for many makes. Ordering through a vendor or off ebay appears to be fine. Order them directly from their phone, its a crapshoot. How do they stay in business? Because they are making money hand over fist without all the niceties we remember from the good old days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

I go by Howellís almost on a weekly basis. This is not some giant company that has dozens of employees. Last count I think they have 5 including the nephew. Everyone was working on production. Last time I stopped in and picked up some patch panels for a 26 pickup they were very kind an let me look through the stock to get what I needed which was great. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes. I hate you are having issues. What are you exactly looking for? You may not know but the Beaumont area of Texas had significant flooding from Hurricane Harvey and people are still recovering from the devastation. I do know if you buy an item off eBay from them
that they ship rather quickly. Iíll see if I can help if you are
specific about what you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 10:12 pm:

I have never had a problem with Howell's. Have always been able to contact them via phone or email. Their product has always been shipped on time to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 10:22 pm:

Mark, I wished you had bought this up a month ago, when I still lived in the Houston area. For expense money, I would have driven the hour and a half from Houston to Beaumont to "rattle their cage". If I could have done a face to face with them, at least I'd get you answers, even if the part wasn't in stock. Now, I live in San Antonio, another two and a half hour drive west.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wing - Albuquerque, NM on Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 08:17 am:

Regarding some of the responses to my original post - my concern is that I don't know if they realize they still owe me a part. The original order was for two items and I did receive one of them a month ago. It was suggested that I cancel my order for the outstanding part and go through a distributor (like Lang's), but I've already paid for the part via PayPal and if Howell's Sheetmetal isn't responding, I'm not confident I would get a refund.

This isn't a life or death situation and I don't mind waiting some more, but it would be good to get confirmation from the company that I'm still in the queue and they haven't lost my order. If waiting up to 6 months is common, but they eventually come through, then that's good to know.

In terms of the rear seat assembly that I ordered, I have the original one that is restorable but needs a lot of work. I was just hoping to save myself some time and effort. If the 1925 touring car project isn't finished by the time our club goes on tour in September, I'll just take my late 1924 coupe instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob meneely on Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

Ordered a TT backpanel about a year and a half ago, after 6 months and no phone answering, I filed a claim with my VISA company, they did not bother arguing, just let it go and I got my refund. Found a beatup rusty panel locally and went with that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration