Spokes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Spokes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

The little center jig was well worth the time. Checks billet size and finds center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 10:43 pm:

Those are nice to see.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

Router bit makes a nice guide. The 8/4 Hickory is $11.50 a board foot down here, they ship it in from up North, but still a lot of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Friday, June 08, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

The cutter was trial and error and took as much time as anything. Used an old stump grinder bit, used a lot of green rock to get it to cut without chipping, and cut the tenon square.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 03:01 am:

In the movie "Charge of the Model Ts" one of the characters carved a new one in the desert with a pen knife. I've rebuilt 4 wheels now and have 4 more to go. I like your way better. Very cool Bob. When you going to start selling and will it be less than 12.00 each. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 10:17 am:

Good job Bob !! You de MAN !! As you know, last year we lost the only T wheelwright in Texas - west of Waco. How soon will you become fully and commercially operational? :o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 11:04 am:

Hey Bob it looks like you have a job! If you want it! Neat way to build a spoke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 08:58 am:

Have worked on this some more.002 (550x366).jpg 012 (550x366).jpg Cut a collar to fix the mess up. Went from sanding the radius to cutting it with a 2 1/8 cutter and a lot stronger jig. 018 (550x366).jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 08:58 am:

Have worked on this some more. Cut a collar to fix the mess up. Went from sanding the radius to cutting it with a 2 1/8 cutter and a lot stronger jig.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:04 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:10 am:

This old drill is slow, but the holes are dead on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:10 am:

This old drill is slow, but the holes are dead on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:13 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:41 am:

That is awesome! I would like the ability to do wheels like that one day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 10:04 am:

Bob,

Very nice. Do the wheels run true? That is the thing I had the most trouble with. Did you use your own spoke press? What does it look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Bob,

JUST BEAUTIFUL! Therapy Works! LOL

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

Bob, I don't see how that guide will give you the square shoulder you need. It seems to me that the about 1/2" follower bearing should cause the lathe cutter tool to cut a rounded shoulder. Please explain.

I am looking at respoking my car and if your numbers are right the Hickory is half the retail price of a finished spokes. There has to be some cost in materials to make the lathe chuck, turning cutter/follower fixture and centering jig. This looks really cool... I assume you have to do a bunch of full sets of spokes (48/set, and not bugger any up or waste any material) and sell a couple to be using black ink!

Very interesting post!

Thanks TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

My numbers are not right. The Hickory cost $5.75 per board foot. Witch makes 8 quarter--2" thick board $11.50 a running foot. The long of the short of it is, a foot will render 6 or maybe 7 spokes. Factoring in the loss due to the random width thing. So you got about $2.00 in the blank??? I think, again???? To achieve the square shoulder on the spoke, I had to make a cutter that cut square to the right side. On the passes along the spoke I lock the depth so the tenon is the same diameter as the spoke body. Then cut the tenon with plunge cuts and move from right to left until guide stops at the offset. Call me and maybe I can explain it better. 903 824 1949. The press a steel variation of Johns at Fun Projects, used a 26X26 piece of 1/2 plate The 4X4 ring lifts off so the drill can mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

And by the way, this is all trial an error. Watch Steve's video, its great, John's press is super. Google-- Model t ford spoke wheel, some good info out there. What would help as much as anything would be to have measured drawings of the spokes. I copied one I bought. It being a production spoke, I'm sure it's off some. If I can help give me a call 903 824 1949 and if you want come use this stuff, come on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

The wheels run within 1/8 of an inch after a little tweaking. Making the fixtures was the fun part. The cutting of the spokes and wheel assembly not so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 02:17 am:

Thanks Bob, that makes sense now. You are not rolling that bearing over the tenon pattern you are rolling to a stop, you can finish off a right angle cut that way!

Great work!

TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration