'24 roaster windshield stanchion insert

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: '24 roaster windshield stanchion insert
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Petoskey, MI on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 10:08 am:

I am pulling both the upper and lower windshields on my 24 to replace with safety glass. As long as I am doing that, I want to replace all the rubber, as well. Hopefully the brass insert for the glass, can be salvaged. So far, it looks in pretty decent shape.

My question is, there are rubber seals that go against the outside edges of the upper windshield, that appeared to slide into cast inserts that somehow fit into the stanchions. Do those cast inserts come out somehow without removing the entire stanchion? Looks like they may slide down, but the lower windshield may be in the way. If they should come out, I guess I will need to put some penetrating oil on them. I am trying to avoid removing the three bolts at the bottom of the stanchions, as a couple are a royal pain to get in and out! If I need to pull the stanchions, or at least one side, I guess I will have to do that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

Dennis

The channels in the stanchion for the rubber seals are spot welded in place, don't attempt to remove the channels!

Just clear out the remains of the old rubber seal, use mechanical means if needed. Narrow wire wheel brush on drill with face shield in place works.

Then prep the channel with rust preventive paint and let dry.

Now pull the new rubber in place, you can't do that dry. Get a tube of silicone paste and put a dab on the leading 'T' edges of the rubber seal, start at one end of the channel and pull / push the seal into place, dragging it will help reduce the thickness like pulling a rubber band. That helps pull it in place while you push it in too.

Then trim the ends as needed to prevent interference with the glass frame.

Photo of seal in place. (1926 upper) but similar to '24.

'24 channel without rubber seal

Your helper for this job, or others that need lube :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Well, I learned something today, thanks Dan!

I had no idea that those channels held a rubber seal, both Betsy and my 1925 touring windshield channels are missing the seals.

Betsy's channels have some lumpy residue in them, must be the remains of the old seals that the previous owner just painted over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 01:22 pm:

Mark, glad to help! Thanks.

Since many don't make it a practice to drive their T's in a heavy rain, you might not have noticed the lack of those seals.

Once got caught in quick shower, top up, but no side curtains, kept the road speed up to get to cover.

However, no seals on the windshield frames and the spouse got soaked a bit. Lots of rain can come in when the flat glass defects the water, which has to go some where :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Petoskey, MI on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

Very good, Dan.

Thanks for the info! I got the Old runner out, and the slots cleaned up. I'll sand and paint the frames while they're out.

Cool beans! I had planned on putting 2 mew tires on, but when I went out to my Mom's shed (2 hrs away)... the tubes hadn't shipped as they were on backorder....so... i tackled the windshield frames instead. Anxious for the safety glass, and getting their rubbers on!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration