Steering shaft will not go all the way down.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Steering shaft will not go all the way down.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 11:05 am:

I am replacing the wobbly pin steering shaft with one that the pins are tight. This is as far as I can get the new shaft in.
What am I missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 11:20 am:

Tap a bit more with rubber mallet or block of wood.

Unless you placed a new bushing in the lower steering bracket mount to the frame, the newer shaft should go into to an old used bushing.

If new bushing, you have to ream it to fit the new shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 11:32 am:

Old bushing.
I gave it several wackes with wood and rubber mallet.
Not much progress.
It turns really tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 11:45 am:

The new steering shaft I installed last year dropped right in and even had a slight amount of clearance. I had replaced the steering bracket bushing. The steering gear bushing was not. Two things come to mind, Danís suggestion of reaming or as an alternative, lapping to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 11:55 am:

I presume both the old and new shafts were die-straight ? If the old one was flexed some, a new straight one will probably bind. Take the lower bracket loose from the frame - as you know, the shaft should be a slip fit and drop right in. Column could have become mis-aligned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

Did you check for burrs on the shaft? Take a mic of veneers and check the diameters of the old & new, it shouldn't be tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 12:19 pm:

Are the old and new shafts the same length?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

Yes they are the same length.
Iím leaning toward the reamer route.
Keeping fingers crossed that someone in the club might have one.
What size should I be looking for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

Approx. 3/4" will do, like to use an adj. reamer for the task, .718"-.781".

Tech article details:

https://nebula.wsimg.com/b97f8efd9b7fba85eab0b695dd0dccd1?AccessKeyId=1992A0A3E7 31FDB20580&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 03:26 pm:

Who sells the readers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

Steve

You can get adj. hand reamers from any tool supply store, or on-line from lots of stores, I do on-line for delivery to my door as I'm 25 miles from the nearest big town. :-)

eBay, first one up, lots there, or use on-line from MSC or other tool supply houses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-25-32-27-32-HSS-Adjustable-Blade-Hand-Reamer-Meta l-Hole-Cutting-Tool-NEW-/350999674127

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 07:41 am:

Probably a tight bushing as everyone is suggesting but first try loosening the bolts holding the steering housing at the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 08:33 am:

Is there a "Burr" on the steering shaft? I found an area at the top of my steering shaft that looked like some one had taken Vise Grips to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Spadafore on Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 09:57 am:

When I rebuilt my steering column, I replaced a really worn steering gear box with one in much better condition. I had the same issue with the shaft fitting. My problem was that the previous owner built up the shaft with weld and then turned it down to fit the old gear box. I used grinding compound to get the box to fit the shaft. Maybe not the best method, but it worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 10:45 am:

Sometimes an owner will replace the bushings in the frame bracket to make up for wear in the column. If you are replacing the shaft with one with less were you will have to ream the bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, July 06, 2018 - 01:54 pm:

Big thanks to a very knowledgeable club member.
I took the shaft over to his garage and he was able to determine the problem. 2 minutes in his lave to knock off a high spot. It fit like a charm.
A new pitman arm was installed.

Took it for a short ride.
Life it getting better.

The rebuild of the front end will continue Johnny Cash style.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration