Flip top oiler issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Flip top oiler issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 05:12 pm:

What do you do when the holes in the front springs that accept the smaller flip top oilers are out of round and you can not tap them into place or insert them with a tool?
I am not sure why the holes would become non-round???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

Those oiler holes in the spring leaf were punched, and some exhibit a bit of taper too, so looks out of round. They weren't drilled to dimensional spec.

The issue today is the replacement oilers are a bit larger in the O.D. to place nicely into the old leaf holes. Just the way it is.

To do the best job, mike the O.D. of the oiler base, then drill with a bit sized a tiny bit under. That will do the best to place them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

Should I be concerned about getting metal shavings in the oil?

Here's what I'm dealing with (see photos).

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 07:12 pm:

I wouldn't be too worried about it. You can cram a plug of grease in the hole and into the flutes of the drill bit to catch and hold any metal shavings.

Looks like you have some kind of accessory front shock setup on your car, can you take a picture of your car from the front so that we can see the whole front axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

I've never had that problem, but I use genuine Ford oilers that I find at swap meets! Bob's still has a ton of the big oilers, but haven't seen the small ones lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

Here ya go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

Also, use a drift punch that fits inside the largest portion of the oiler, and drive it in with a hammer.
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

I believe that the accessory front shocks you have are called "pancake hasslers".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

I just put oil in the hole. It is not like the cup really holds the oil it just run down into the bushings and as far as git is concerned, it going to get in any way at the ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 08:35 am:

So when you put them in do you tap the top (lid?) with a hammer or do you open the lid and stick a large punch that fits just before the tapered end and put them in that way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 09:29 am:

Open the lid first, otherwise the lid just gets pounded into a cup shape. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 10:52 am:

Thanks Mark!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration