OT - teaching a woman how to crank, and drive a pre-T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - teaching a woman how to crank, and drive a pre-T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 08:33 am:

The cranking didn't go so well, but the driving did.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfwkt6mf1kjc1a9/Video%20Jun%2010%2C%208%2040%2051%20PM.mov?dl=0

And, a bonus. Ten free starts in a row.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd8odrb8ybb674b/10%20free%20starts.mov?dl=0

Next I suppose they'll want the vote........ :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 08:40 am:

That big six apparently takes a bit more strength than she can muster. No worry though, something tells me she'll have someone nearby glad to crank it for her whenever it's necessary. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 09:52 am:

My computer has suddenly decided that it will only play the audio portion of any posted videos on this and one other site. Anyone have any ideas for a fix?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 10:01 am:

She looks relaxed behind the wheel. That's a start

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 01:30 pm:

Gee I'm a big guy and I felt intimidated turning your massive K crank at the OCF. If I make a stop at a store, my wife often cranks my T if the engine is warmed up to save me getting out of the car and she can barely do it. People look when you crank your car. Seeing a woman do it stops them right in their tracks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 02:03 pm:

She gets an "A" for effort when cranking, and did a nice job driving the K. :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 02:25 pm:

O boy, wait till the safety nuts see this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

I agree, Julie did a great job driving. I was hoping to capture it all with the drone, however it was too windy and heavily wooded for me to feel safe "flying" along.

Much of cranking is knowing when to lean into it, especially with a large engine. I bet she will conquer it. Reading "Reminiscences," Edsel would sometimes drive a Model K to school. Usually an NRS, but sometimes a K. When he did, one of the Ford employees had to go to school and start it for him.

Hal, Do you mean the "two handed" crank pull? That's how I've always cranked our K's. I don't let my thumbs cross over the handle, and always "hope" I would pull back free from a backfire. I had my first backfire a few days ago in MN when my friend and I re-timed the magneto. I wasn't prepared, and it surprised me. However, all good.....

We don't take risks, we just drive nearly to over 100 year old cars down the street....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Rob - Here is a really good argument for Steve Jelf's method of left-handed cranking. I have absolutely no argument against left-handed cranking at all, and in fact, I agree that it is better and safer, and, I believe that anyone who is totally inexperienced at hand cranking would do well to learn (and get used to) left-handed cranking. In my case (like quite a few OTHER old guys like me I'm sure) left-handed just feels awkward and try as I might, I just can't change after something over 60 years of right-handed cranking.

However Rob, watching your interesting and beautifully done videos, I think I made an "observation" that illustrates a very good argument for left-handed cranking. I believe the young lady might have just barely enough strength for the upward pull on the crank, except that the straight upward "pulling force" that she exerts (as we all would do) is not quite enough to pull the crank "OVER THE TOP" with her RIGHT hand. I strongly believe that that same upward pull of the crank with the LEFT hand, would position anybodys body weight, stance and pulling effort considerably more to the right which would naturally exert more of the pulling effort to the right (and over the top) instead of all of the right-handed pulling effort straight upward and very little if any of that effort in the right, or "over the top" direction.

Whew! I hope that makes some sense, because I don't even think I could say that the same way twice, let alone WRITE it!

FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 04:50 pm:

More great videos, Thanks for sharing them with us. I'm glad to hear you still want to use the drone to take videos of the car on the road. Can't wait to see one when the weather cooperates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 11:44 pm:

She definitely looks like a keeper. Like the car too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

Those smiles while en route say it all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles fanucci on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

I have to post because this is a very dangerous practice. she is barely getting the engine to top dead center and if it should fire, will cause serious injury. Please do not let inexperianced people ever crank your car, unless you want a huge law suit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

Charles, I'm responding to the other posters with a few pics later, but will immediately address your post.

This is a six cylinder. Instead of a compression stroke every 180 degrees, one occurs every 120 degrees. Julie has indeed pulled through the compression stroke well before struggling at the top of the pull (12 o'clock). She simply hasn't learned to create momentum as she pulls through the stroke so as to achieve a bit more speed when pulling through.

I also retarded the spark a little more than when I crank, lessening the chance of backfire, but making starting a little more difficult.

I've cranked three different Model K, two I've owned and a friends. I've probably cranked them hundreds and maybe over a thousand times. it has damned near killed me due to fatigue a few times. I've had one real kickback. That was last week and happened because we had the Magneto timing significantly off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

I would guess with the larger and heavier engine any kickback might be more like a push instead of the quick/sharp kick of a model T?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 07:49 pm:

Rob,
Congratulations on finding a girl interested in driving your K (especially cranking it). Wish I could find one interested in driving my T's!
I think you addressed this above, but were the initial shots in the first video taken with your drone? Beautiful footage and a gorgeous drive in a gorgeous car! (OK, the water on the left side at first had me a little nervous with a new driver :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

While Julie may be the most recent woman to drive a Model K, she certainly isn't the first.

Anna Hill was a well known actress and singer at the turn of the last century, and was featured driving her new 1906 Model K. The camel back or pig nosed radiator tells us it's one of the very first to be delivered in 1906:

Adelaide Manola was another well know actress of the period. Here she's seen driving her Ford Six Cylinder Roadster:

Appearing on stage with Douglas Fairbanks Sr.:

Adelaide was the aunt of another well known figure of the 20th century:

Another unknown female operator of a Ford 6-40:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration