Chattering stopped by Technique

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Chattering stopped by Technique
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

A few weeks ago I posted that there was an annoying chatter in my runabout when braking on the last few feet before coming to a full stop. After trying several different techniques I have discovered a sequence that works.

I initially break on compression as usual and when I eventually “half pedal” the clutch to take the transmission out of gear I immediately back off on the gas completely .. to idle ... and retard the spark a few notches. When braking I hold for a couple of seconds at a time, lifting my foot from the brake to get oil in the bands until the final push on the brake to a complete stop. No chatter.

Seems that the slower the rpm ... the less chatter. So, I set the carburetor to a steady low idle which nice to have at a stoplight anyway as it’s quieter. Just before pulling away I advance the spark and get ready to advance the gas before getting into low gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

Auntie Chatter (an old oil advert) lives there no more! Good on you. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration