Has anyone tried it ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Has anyone tried it ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

I have a really nice 26' Fordor Sedan that I would like to put a rear trunk on. So, that means I have to re-locate the spare tire mount and the only place I foresee would be the right front fender. Has anyone tried to relocate the spare tire in the right front fender ??? It would be similar to the Model "A" set up using a 21" wheel well. Could you use the Model "A" bracket to frame ??? Is there any restrictions for the front passenger ??? I have never seen pictures of the alteration, so I am wondering if anyone has tried it ??? All comments welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

Yes, there is a bit of a restriction on how far you can open the door. For those bodies without a driver's door, there was a period made sidemount bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

Haven't seen one, but some owner did it in the 1930's. The front fender is slightly welled. Must have some kind of frame mounted arm to secure the wire wheel. Door seems to might open a bit. I know for fact, the '27 pickup mount on the running board, top iron bracket prohibits using the driver door!

Would be interesting project for the adventurous :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

John

Another way, as most of those rear mount luggage trunks required frame mounted attachment, they usually included bumper assembly too. A lot of weight has to be sprung off the rear frame with these.

The later versions have seen that also have spare wheel mounted to the trunk, that would be good too.

But this owner hit a nice compromise, made a tray to hang on the rear wheel carrier of the '26-'27 as that forged carrier is mounted firm to the cross member and can carry a load.

So just add a trunk and best of all this is removable when the added luggage isn't needed :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

Interesting, as I looked at several options and this morning I just finished up a rear trunk on my son's 27 Tudor. We had decided that the sidemount type would not work for us. I extended the back bumper by 7 inches and found a trunk that fit fairly well. I then reinforced the inside of the trunk so that I could mount the spare onto it. I extended angle iron reinforcements from the bolts that hold the spring on but it still moves some. I am happy to email or text photos if you have any interest. Kurt Baltrusch Great Falls MT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:30 am:

A special "thank you" to each one that responded. I was hoping to find someone that actually made this conversion, spare tire right front fender mount. But before I attempt to do this, I want to make damn sure it will work before altering/cutting up a perfectly good fender. The more I think about it, I will look for a 26' Sedan RF fender that needs some minor repair, then make the alteration on that one. I made a cardboard template of the rim/tire and it appears it would work. And I think the Model "A" side fender mount spare tire mount will work (I'll make it work). So now the next thing will be looking for a decent 26'-27' RF fender. Sure appreciate your responses, wish me luck guys !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:58 am:

There is a guy in the Spokane club that did just what you want. He runs the Montana 500. I think his name is Stomo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:28 am:

Mike Stormo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:42 am:

John, there was a post on here last year? Where one of the Minnesota Petersons had a very original improved Tudor for sale. It had a combination trunk/spare holder on the rear. I reluctantly offered to buy the accessory, only because I would have regretted not asking, and finding later that it had been sold separately of the car. I'm still looking for one for our Fordor :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 06:53 pm:

Hey Pat, "That's exactly what I'm looking for", PERFECT !!! Looks like he did a exceptional job on it too, now how do I get ahold of this guy ??? Man, this just makes my day !!! Hey Steve, it seems that you might know this guy ??? Can you help out trying to find this guy, some kind of contact ??? BTW: very, very nice looking car !!! Ed, I wanted to get away from re-mounting the spare on the back. My plans are : I have two identical full length accessory bumpers, one for the front and the other for the rear. Then mount a fiberglass trunk. And then build a class three receiver for my Model "T" (metal PU box) tilt bed trailer that will haul my electric wheel chair. Don't give up Ed, put the word out once in a while. I have been very fortunate to have the guys respond to questions and get answers. This is a exceptional MTFCA site, I have not seen any other that could compare. Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

ttt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:20 pm:

He did beautiful work on that car. He also has won the Montana 500. I think the Inland Empire Model T club is the name of the Spokane Washington based club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

Pat, how would I go about finding this guy, any ideas ??? Thanks Pat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 10:46 pm:

The spare mounted that way instead of behind the trunk would probably reduce air drag by a slight amount. Of course, putting the spare in the trunk would reduce it even slightly more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:46 pm:

Call Antique Auto Ranch in Spokane. They might be able to help as they are in with the 500 crowd. 1-509-535-7789.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:57 am:

John, I sent you a PM.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Didn't get the message yet Keith !!! I'll respond if I do, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:10 pm:

John, I sent it. Check your junk or trash, it might have gone there.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 11:37 am:

UPDATE: Received a phone call last night from Mike Stormo, owner of that beautiful 27' Roadster. Got a lot of information and tips on how to do this alteration (he did dual side mounts). Long story short version, this guy is a "craftsman". I kinda had this figured out till I talked with Mike !!! Thanks Steve for hook'n me up and "thank you" to all the guys for your input. Mike is going to do "The Montana 500" again and as soon as he wins it, he promised photos, GOOD LUCK Mike.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration