Uh oh... installed rear end and drive shaft without checking fourth main alignment...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Uh oh... installed rear end and drive shaft without checking fourth main alignment...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

Title.

Luckily I installed it with the oil hole on the top. I believe I just put the main in the trans and slid the drive shaft in. Bolted it in. It seems okay? I don't know what I'm looking for here. It is an original bearing, probably worn, who knows. Is it okay to leave it where it fit in...? If not, can it be adjusted with the driveshaft installed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

Should also mention it's in a stock speedster... If it matters. No speed equipment or anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

John, I'd think you're OK - at least no worse off than before it was pulled down. I love your profile picture !! You're a man after my own heart. Everyone should drive a model T with a 5 gallon bucket for a seat at least once !!

Got to rib you a little though - "stock speedster" - isn't that an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp" or "military intelligence" ?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

Thanks Rich! Smoke is from the old exhaust pipe with a major leak. Got a new one on now and everything is nice and painted now :-) putting in a wooden floor now. Stock speedster... Don't know if anyone else calls them that but I figure it's a stock engine. The 5 gallon bucket seat worked good enough. It kept falling off from the vibrations after I got off!

From what I understand, and as you said, I should be fine. It's if I were to remove the hogshead and mess with the measurements trying to get it back on it would be an issue? I did not touch anything from after the fourth main, all the bolt holes lined up perfectly...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

When I replaced the 4th main on my 15 several years ago, didn't want to pull the engine to stand it on end to get a neutral no sag positioning. When bolting it up, I weld the bottom snug to the shaft without pushing up as to flex anything. That was 30,000 plus miles ago and no issues since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

Your ahead of me. Haven't touched the mains yet but I rebuilt 1 rear end, slapped it in and have been driving sense on it. Love the profile pic. Looks like fun project and it would be nice to have a barn like that. I have a garage and have to move outside to crank because mine smokes a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

Thanks guys. So it seems like I should be okay. It occurred to me that I never checked the position of the oil hole (luckily is on the top), and kept reading about alignment.

James, it's an old 1800s barn. Frame is stable but the floor is a mess. People kept piling up boards on the floor to cover broken ones I'd guess? All the boards wobble around any time I walk on them and bolts and nuts keep falling into the big spaces between them. Good enough for a T project though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

If things were in alignment before you removed it, should be OK. If it is excessively worn you will get a large oil leak and maybe increase in your differential oil as the crankcase oil runs down the tube. If you have a 26-27 engine and hogs head, it will not likely change alignment when you pull the 4th main. The ears bolted to the block will pretty much take care of it.

The best alignment is done with the engine on end with the 4th main at the top. Do this with the crankcase to engine and transmission bolts loose. You can move things around slightly to get in alignment. But if that was done the last time the engine was out you should not be any worse off than before you moved it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

Norm, thanks for the explanation. It is, in fact, an improved one with the extra supports. Good to know it should be okay. I would guess it was aligned before.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration