1923 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1923 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Mitchell on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 04:48 pm:

Bought this Saturday. When we saw this at a car show, I told my friends of my childhood memories of riding in one just like it with my now deceased uncle. The owner had it at the show looking for parts and it was not for sale. We met the owner and I told him of skinning my knees jumping off my uncle's running board. He asked my name and everything fell together. This was my uncle's car! It has been stored in a barn for almost 50 years.

This is my first Model T so I have a lot to learn. All of the wood needs to be replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 04:54 pm:

Congratulations! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Mitchell on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

The article from The Vintage Ford Volume 22, #6 (Nov/Dec 1987)"Rewooding a '23 Roadster" may be helpful. Anyone know where it can be found/purchased?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

That's a wonderful story! I'm glad you were able to get the car back into your family. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Mitchell on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

The owner was planning to restore the car but he was happy to see it get back to the original family. Now it's time to make some new memories restoring it to original with my Dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

Lee, PM me with your email address and I will scan the article and email it back to you.

Or, if you prefer to get an original copy of the whole issue, you might check Ebay, back issues often show up there. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom McGoldrick, Laguna Hills CA on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 06:02 pm:

Purchase my wood kit for my 25 roadster from http://www.fordwood.com/
I have it mostly installed. Very happy with the quality. Obviously you will need to adapt sections to fit your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

Looks like a high cowl so it's not a 23. Probably 24 or 25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Merrick on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 10:31 pm:

And that little Model T go-cart nearby, with the exception of the red fenders, is just like the one my dad got me, used, in 1961 (currently undergoing restoration in my garage).

Sorry for the hijack...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:58 am:

I agree with Tim, it looks like a high cowl car. What is the engine number? It may be a 1924 model year car built in late 1923.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:44 am:

What a wonderful find !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:46 am:

Sound like fate. Seems it found you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:19 am:

Lee: Document your restoration and when complete submit the information and your personal 'story' behind your car to Vintage Ford. It will make a great feature article!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Mitchell on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

Unfortunately, I won't get to see it again until Saturday. I'll check the engine number then.

Thanks to Mark Strange for sending me the article.

The car was delivered today to my Dad's house and the seller offered to buy it back at the same price. The world is full of great people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

Lee, glad that Model T found you! The first car I restored was a 25 roadster. I had a 25 touring so I had one sitting beside my project which was helpful. I like that vintage roadster . Good car (see Larry Smith's posting on his). The wood kit should be a snap for you. I had my pieces cut from Mel Miller's plans and as I recall the door jam was the only trouble I had. You may be surprised at how much wood in yours may be good,if its good use it. I bought one piece that I couldn't cut. Sold mine when I bought a brass car. Recently bought another like it. Good luck on your project. Looks like yours is a good complete car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Mitchell on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

Ok, I need to change the title of this thread. Turns out, the engine serial number is 119838XX which makes it a 25. Thanks to the good eyes of Tim Rodgers and Mark Strange.

Got some more stories from my other uncle today. He went with my uncle Charles to pick up the car in Anderson, SC in 1963. At dusk, the Westminster Police pulled Charles over because the headlights were, in the officer's opinion, too dim. He said they started tinkering under the hood until the the officer left. They then proceeded home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 10:26 pm:

Engine 119838xx was one of 7602 engines assembled on June 18, 1925. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 11:01 pm:

exactly 93 years ago- tomorrow!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration