Period correct but OT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Period correct but OT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

I have a 1920 Rockford lathe. I can not figure out how to engage the feed rod. I can engage the lead screw but cant figure out the the combination for the lead screw. My buddy has been a machinist his whole life but this one is older than he is. He said anyone that ran these machines are dead. Tell me it isnt so. I will post a photo of lathe in a minute. I havnt found a question that you guys can not answer yet. Any help would be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 06:29 pm:

Dallas, A better picture of the controls will help, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 06:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

Scott I dont know the names of controls but in the second photo, the round knurled knob on the far right will engage the lead screw. In the 1st photo the two round knurled knobs turn when the lead screw is engaged and it pulls table. I cant get it to run with just the feed rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

I believe that the lever in the first picture at the bottom right of the apron is lead screw, the upper lever, when lowered is slow feed for threading--I think--I'd have to go run my own lathe to check that out--been a while since I used power feed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

Dallas:
David is correct regarding the lever for the 1/2 nut ( threading ) and feed screw lever I have a newer Rockford 18x60 lathe ...the 1/2 nut lever must be in the feed position and the knurled knobs are friction clutch's for the cross or longitudinal feeds ...enjoy the lathe ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 11:01 pm:

I like this guys site.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/rockford/page3.html

I have a tiny belt drive southbend 9x48. Wish i had a bigger one with the power feeds on thr top slides and cross slide like the rockford!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 12:10 pm:

Somewhat more modern than the Monarch lathe in my shop, I guess I'm obsolete, it too. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

Benjamin, I sent Tony an email at that site. He was very prompt in getting back to me. He told me that these lathe's did not come with any manuels until the onset of WWII. I was thinking the feed rod could be used to run the table back and forth without the lead screw but maybe Im wrong. On the slowest setting on thread chart, it still moves pretty fast for turning stock. It is fun to see it come to life after who knows how long. I saved it from going to scrap because they couldnt figure out how to install motor and transmision to make it run. It took me 1/2 a day to get it put together and running. They had a new flat belt made for it and a new electric motor with controls. Only thing I added was a couple V belts for motor. I turned 70 elevator bolts for my current project on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marvin turner on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

Dallas
The lever below the half nut has to go right or left. it is in neutral now.then just tighten the knurled wheel to its left .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:30 pm:

My ol' lathe is also far too old for me to know about those new fangled accessories. Cross feed. Bah! Hehe!
Glad you have a quick change box too. :-)
That ol' devil is already serving you well and will do so almost forever. :-)
Do your oilers stop dripping when you stop the spindle? Mine does and I still marvel over that.
Keep us posted!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 06:25 am:

Thanks Marvin. I cant turn knurled wheel when in gear. I may need to take it apart to see why.
Duey, one oiler was broken when I got it. Solder and JB weld helped but I need to find a good one. It still leaks. It really leaks when I forget to shut them off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

Marvin, that was it. The knurled knobs were stuck. I put a large pair of slip joint plyers on and they both turned. Now the feed rod is working. I love this mtfca site. You guys can solve any problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration