Help or info on getting small parts cast

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Help or info on getting small parts cast
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 11:32 pm:

I need 5 to 10 unique wheel lugs cast and supply
A lug as a pattern.
Anyone do any casting or know of a place that would do such a small run

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Crosby Webster, NY on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 11:59 pm:

Bob, What material do you need them cast In?

Please post a picture or drawing or sketch with info.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 12:25 am:

Will post a pic tommerow night
Look like steel cast iron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 05:39 am:

Jerome Hoffman

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 06:29 am:

The original cast lugs were common cast iron and weak. Cast the new ones in steel or a high grade of cast iron. Cast a bunch and sell the extras to forum members to re capture some of the cost.

If you use the original as a pattern, the new ones will be 10% or so smaller. Find someone who can make a CAD model which is 10% larger and use that to make a 3D print and then use that as a pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 06:29 am:

I would go malleble cast iron holds up better than gray iron for something like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 10:49 pm:

That magnesium bronze is some really tough stuff,doesn't rust or pit. There is a place just north of Ft Collins Colorado that casts many things out of that including wheel bead rings and maybe lockrings. They also make anchors for towers out of that or at least used to. Consisted of a wedge about a foot long,maybe 8" wide with a ridge down the back with a hole in it. Anchor a cable to the hole then jackhammer the thing into the ground about 6',hook the cable to the tower and it's there forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:51 am:

Believe I was working with some of those just over the weekend :-)are those for those steel spoaked rims ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:28 am:

You might try Tomahawk Foundry. They specialize in this kind of work.

http://www.tomahawkfoundry.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:44 am:

Ive had a lot of castings done ina variety of material.
For your object I would first check out a machine shop with CNC equipment and maybe just get them made from C12L14 leaded bar stock (it machines REALLY easily and nicely).
I guess it depends on how many you need, but worth getting a price!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 02:53 pm:

For only 5 pieces I would just make them myself. A combination of some work on a milling machine (no fancy machine required) a drill press and a bench grinder. Probably 2-3 hours work total

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

Sunset Foundry

(209) 754-0601
3474 Toyon Cir Apt 255
Valley Springs CA 95252-7500

Does cast iron, reasonable prices and will do small items

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Branigan on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:45 pm:

Tomahawk has done a good job for us. Rice Lake Wis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

Dave over at Sunset foundry is great to work with. But they only pour grey iron. Probably not the best choice for the rim lugs.

Manganese bronze is a sturdy alternative and would likely perform just as good as cast mild steel or ductile iron. You just have to find a foundry willing to take on such a small project. Maybe look up Kevin at Tusco Foundry in Lodi CA. Likely wont be cheap tho, or quick.

My opinion... Im with Les. If you want em perfect, find a local CNC shop and pay the few bucks. If you are OK with not so perfect, get out your grinder and get em close

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration