Couple questions.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Couple questions.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:47 am:

Trying to figure out how the coupe evolved here. Is the turtle deck removable on any of the coupes, and if so, what years? What is meant by a removable pillar? Did some of these have fabric roofs, and what years? Thanks, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:49 am:

Title should read Coupe Questions. Spell check can be a pain, can it not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:50 am:

I believe all turtle decks are removable. The removable pillar is the B pillar on 17 & 18 coupelet with the fixed roof. The 15 & 16 coupelet had a folding fabric roof. Others can post more info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:51 am:

And my reading isn't the best :-) I didn't read the word "coupe" :-) and I don't think those are removable

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:09 am:

Bill: The '26-'27 coupe rear body is only removable by torch. It is an integral part of the body. Others will know more about pre '26 configurations. Best to you, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:33 am:

The coupes didn't removable trunk like the runabout. The trunk was built into the body. I think all coupes up to the introduction the of 24 style, you could removed the sides top and rear but it would leave a really big hole. The space behind the cab would be very short because the coupe body was longer. The 1924 style up, the sides were stamped as part of the body panels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:56 am:

The '22 Coupe rear deck helps to support the rear of the cab and if you would remove it you would have to do some major re-framing to take it's place. The sheet metal is made up of individual pieces and each piece is nailed to the frame independently and the seams covered by a 1/2 round seam strip. If you did re-work the frame then the gas tank would take up most of the rear area as well as the battery hatch. This would leave you with a very small cargo area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 02:51 pm:

From 1915 through '23, the coupe and coupelet body's turtle deck was structurally a significant part of the body. No Ford factory coupes in those years had a "removable" turtle deck/trunk short of saws and violence. I don't know about the 1910 coupe. As previously stated, '24 through '27 coupes, the sheet metal was stamped integral with the front parts of the body.

The "removable" pillar coupe (from Ford) was built for about two years ('17/'18), and had a solid fixed roof unlike the convertible folding top of the '15/'16/early '17 coupelets. The side windows lowered into the body, and the pillars on the doors and the body were either removable or folded down to leave the side more open (like the "hardtops" of the '50s and '60s). The removable pillar Ford coupelet is quite rare with only about ten known to survive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:31 am:

Thank you gentlemen! Cheers, Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration