A new "club"??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: A new "club"??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

I finally finished installing thrust washers in my `24 rear end--after carefully checking everything according to Chaffins REAR END book, put it all back togeather for a drive---WHOOPS--gears are backwards due to differential reversed! SHIT--need to pull it down AGAIN and fix it----Misery loves company--any other "club" members do the same thing??? Make me feel better.....Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 01:02 pm:

That is good practice. I realized mine was wrong before bolting it together. Most who do it don't admit it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 01:16 pm:

I think that club has many long time members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Hope I did mine right... What side is the ring gear supposed to be from, facing from the front?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 01:48 pm:

The opposite side to the carb on the motor.
Looking backwards from the UJ it is on the right.
Sat in the drivers seat itís on the left.

By the way I omitted the Hyatt bearing on the side opposite to the differential. Swore and took it down again. Did it twice on different rear ends. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 01:50 pm:

Great, think thats where mine is... No oil in the pumpkin so Ill check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 02:15 pm:

I suspect there are a lot more people that have done that than will admit it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

Admit it ? Heck, I'm a charter member - did my first 2-speed reverse T back in '63. The memory lingers - I made damn sure I didn't do that again when I rebuilt my axle last winter !! ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 02:35 pm:

Yep,I hope my dues are paid for that club.When you hit low pedal and those wheels go backward it just give you that sinking feeling in your stomach,knowing all that shiny paint and all that struggling was for nile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 02:52 pm:

Heck- I did it on a bicycle! In my (much) younger days I finally collected enough parts to put together a bicycle. Whoever put the rear wheel together put the coaster brake arm on upside down, so when I mounted the wheel to the bare frame, I used the coaster brake arm to determine which way it went on the frame (I didn't have another bicycle to compare it to), then I installed the crank set to match. Finished the assembly and hopped on for that long anticipated first ride on "my" bicycle. Pedal forward- brakes, pedal backwards- away I went backwards for a couple of feet. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry... That is something I have never forgotten, so when I do a vintage Ford rear axle, I make sure to get it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

I almost did it on my first car, a 1927 Chevy. That was in 1958 and I was just a kid.

I have to think every time though. I imagine cranking the engine and which way it turns then transfer that to the ring gear.

A friend bought an old diesel engine off a harvester machine to put in their boat. It ran backwards. Fortunately you can get left handed props.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:45 pm:

I watched it happen in a heavy equipment dealership I worked at. A guy was working on a Case forklift, and using the manual for a tractor/loader/backhoe. I saw it again, when two of my second shift mechanics assembled the axles and installed them on a Cat 518 Skidder. Somehow they got both axles the same wrong way. When I showed up at 5 a.m. the next day, the logging crew was waiting for me with their arms folded. I told them to give me an hour to fix it. As soon as they left, I pulled the floor boards and flipped the lever on the reverser unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 05:02 pm:

The first one that I did went perfectly right up until the second that I mashed on the reverse pedal to back out my garage... and it went forward!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

I have been lucky so far, but, I do open the book and look at the pictures before I button it up! LOL
I sometimes take a picture of the timing gears too just so I don't 2nd guess myself. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

add me to the club Sure was a sinking feeling when I hit the low pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

John, there is no need to stipulate "from the front" when deciding the side of the car. That only complicates things. Your cars are Left Hand Drive in the USA. Looking from the front does not turn them into Right Hand Drive!!!!!
The crown wheel goes on the left side.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

It didn't happen to me because I took photos as I disassembled it and wrote down the orientation too. I made darn sure to look at the photos multiple times before reassembly because I heard about this issue and could see how easy it is to get it wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

I did it to my rear axle, I didn't catch till all assembly was done and ready to install in the car. I went to bed exhausted, but couldn't sleep, something about the rear end bothered me. I got up took a close look and saw, I had it together wrong. In the morning I swapped out the housing and then put it in the car. Sure glad I caught it prior to putting it in the car. Take a close look at the photo, you will see the spring perch alignment and where the drive shaft goes would be upside down. placing the driveshaft out the back of the car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:53 am:

Been about 55 years but Iím right there with you. One thing about it, you probably will never make that error again. Just takes once to get the diploma.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:57 am:

I've never done it, but reading accounts of those that have, had me double, triple, quadruple checking during assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:21 am:

All my T's have Ruckstells. The data tag on the rear and the lever to shift are all on the left as you face the back side of the car. Much easier to remember how to install correctly.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:02 pm:

This is exactly why I reassembled mine with maximum paranoia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

Might be easier to turn the transmission around backwards instead of taking the rear axle out again!? ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 05:36 pm:

Just to end this thread on a HAPPY NOTE--Got my `24 touring back together and did a test drive, today. Certainly works better with the differential installed correctly!! Thanks for all of your input---Hope this thread will DISCOURAGE any new "club" members!!! Thanks, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 05:40 pm:

These reminders are good. It's ridiculously easy to lose your point of reference when axle and driveline are torn down !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration