Transmission bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Transmission bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george loranger on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

i bought a 1921 touring from a estate. the represenative had no information on the history of the engine. in looking at the transmission bands i can,t tell if they are kevlar, cotton or? can anyone tell what they are and do they look ok? photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 02:10 pm:

How does the car run and drive? Does it shift good from low to high. Judging from what you can see it seems Ok but how it drives and shifts will tell the story. There are no grooves in the drum so that's a plus. Maybe others can tell if it's Kevlar but I can't. Drive it you till notice some slipping and check it again.
If it were mine I wouldn't change the bands till it really needed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

George:

Take John's advise, and don't change the bands till really needed.....BUT>>> .... drive the car like it has Kevlar linings and keep a loose adjustment not to overheat drums.

If you cannot wait, please do reline bands with your choice.

My choice is wood liners.... since 2000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

Looks like the lining on that brake band isn't worn much at all. If the low and reverse linings are like that and the car drives OK I would leave it alone.

The Kevlar I have used leans more toward yellow than the lining in your photo, but the color in a photo is greatly influenced by the light source, so I can't say for sure that your lining isn't Kevlar. Whatever it is, as Bob says, don't adjust the bands too tight, and keep slippage to a minimum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

I have the same bands installed in my T, same condition. Interested to see if anyone knows the material too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

I have cotton ones in mine, and they were a dark grayish brown new out of the box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

Kevlar will melt at about 960 F. Cotton will burn. If you take a little snip and heat it, it will burn if cotton and melt if Kevlar. Wash out all the oil first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

HAS ANY ONE TRIED USEING SOMETHING LIKE the jaws to clip old style bans?just thinkin,perhaps save grindings from entering places they will do harm.never tried removing the non uncouple type, looks like they will slide back enough and turn so it might work ,if every thing can be removed that can be to make the room, there hasta be a better way to get them outa there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

The Ford manual recommends using a cutter to remove none demountable bands. The one time I removed none demountable bands without pulling the motor, I used an aircraft cutter. I would not want or recommend using a grinder to cut them off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george loranger on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

I should have mentioned when I wrote this question that I recently bought this and as of now it is not driveable.will drive it and see what happens. George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

George, they look OK to me, but have been poorly installed on the backing. When fitting linings on the bands the ends should pass the end of the band by a bit so there is no chance of the band ears being cocked under pressure and contacting the drum.
While there is no contact just carry on.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

Does anyone know which type of band material "holds" or absorbs oil "Better" or more / less and what performance it effects (cooling? ). Thank you. Erick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration