Technical Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Technical Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

Friend of mine has a 26 coupe. When driving it, it makes a thunk-kathunk sound when slowing down or when braking. It's really noticeable when using the brake pedal. Sounds like coming from the transmission, but I cannot tell. Nothing else on the car seems amiss except the band springs are not seating against the ears properly. (They might be worn).

Your thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 02:26 pm:

He also said it didn't do this when he got it, but has just recently started making these noises. I drove it, and it sounds like what I said plus a sound like grinding coffee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:11 pm:

Uh-oh.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:21 pm:

The grinding sound is only when the brakes are applied or when the reverse is engaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

It won't hurt to check the rear end oil. See if it is grey from pulverized babbit? Could be remains of the thrust washers grinding in the ring and pinion.

The sound travels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

Yes. We're going to check it out next time I meet up with him. He's not currently driving the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:37 pm:

Universal joint?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

I was thinking the universal was at fault to0 but it doesn't make that noise when pulling away, only when slowing down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

Ninety percent probability a thrust washer has failed. Ten percent split between pinion bearing, U-joint, triple gear pin in transmission, other unlikely transmission or rear end bearings or gears.
If it is not known for certain that brass/bronze thrust washers were used inside? Take the rear end apart and check that first. If it is absolutely certain that two brass/bronze thrust washers were properly installed (how many times have I heard that and it turned out to be wrong?), then further diagnostics may be necessary. Even if? Pulling the rear end first is still usually the easiest way.

As discussed on another recent thread. Please be careful with stands and blocking! I don't want to lose any friends to a falling car. And I am not there to throw a spare tire underneath.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 06:36 pm:

Jack up the rear axle...both wheels off of the ground. Push and pull on a rear wheel while someone watches the other side. If the "innerds" are moving back and forth (side to side of the car) about 1/4", it's probably the thus washer. Also, if the passenger side brake drum shows signs of serious scraping, that is another sign of a bad thrust washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

I had similar symptoms when a tooth broke off the pinion gear. Barely an audible click when under load, but a real growl on trailing throttle/braking.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration