Old photo - Waiting for passengers.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old photo - Waiting for passengers.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 04:14 pm:

Is that a TT ? Interesting body !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

1st quad cab pickup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

It certainly appears to be a 1919. At first glance I thought it was a Town Car and then a Fordor. Yes it might be a TT. Definitely built right for the job at hand. Hopefully we will get more opinions on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

The body is a town car. It has a set of rear doors on it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

NOT a standard Ford body. It could have been a custom built for this truck? Or likely a repurposed four-door sedan body from some non-Ford from about early to mid '10s. The truck (?) was certainly set up special. Probably for a ritzy clientele of some resort or hotel. It also appears to have been a stage line. It may have carried the U S Mail (look at the windshield), passengers in comfort, and baggage or packages in the rear box.
I can't be certain (yet) whether it is a TT or extended car chassis. But I think it is a TT. I can't see much of the rear end, however, I think I can see more of the center-left housing than I can the center-right. It appears to be a Ruckstell, and the angle looks more like the TT version. Rear wheels do not appear to be standard TT wheels (too light for TT pneumatic wheels). However the brake drums may be TT?
The rear fenders look to be standard after-market straight express fenders (there are the fenders you wanted Mack C!). The side aprons (Splash shields to be more correct) look nice. I wonder if they were extended car type? Or custom made?

It looks like such a nice special stage. Made tacky by the missing hood sides.

"U S MAIL"
"PASSENGER AND BAGGAGE SERVICE TO"
"JOHNSTON RICHFIELD & ELKHART"

Google did not want to be helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

This presents an intriguing puzzle - not only of the interesting body (was it a town car that mated with a sedan ? Was it a custom build ?) but where are we ? There are Elkharts in Indiana, Kansas, Texas, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin, but we're woefully short of Johnstons (Illinois and Iowa) and even shorter on Richfields (Utah, Idaho, Minnesota).

Iowa claims a Richfield (unincorporated) near Sumner, which would make a logical (?) loop route of about 300 miles in circuit. Maybe ?

If this elegant conveyance started life carrying well-heeled folks from the train to a lovely resort, it looks like it's now working hard for a living in this picture - besides the shabby hood, it's missing cowl lamps, though the brackets are there. It's definitely in a rustic setting now - milk cans in that short pickup box instead of quality luggage ! Great picture and a lot of fun. Pity not to know the full history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith McGowan on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:42 pm:

It does not appear to be a Ford body. It has 4 doors so it is not a centerdoor. The bottom of the rear door curves forward, which rules out a four door sedan body. It does not have an opening rear top section so it would not be a town car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:52 pm:

Also does not have a cowl and no hood former leading to more thought that it is not Ford. A great photo and as said, it would be fun to know more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

Either a custom made body, or two bodies put together. Notice the oval window behind the front doors. Wonder how many seats it has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 02:26 am:

Here is a similar body,
it appeared on the front cover of the Vintage Ford in May June 1977. At the time it was owned by Harry Johnson of Reno NV.

A twin to this car was on the New Hampshire tour in Lincoln NH they were both built by a Piano company in New York. The date around 1911/12.

Unfortunately it was before my digital camera days so I don't have a photo handy.

Looks like the body in Dave Wells photo was such a body repurposed later on.
Harry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:26 am:

I reckon you have nailed the body Peter. It looks to have been fitted to a later car chassis, which must have been extended by around 2', going on the size of the wheels and the new position behind the cabin. They look like 23" rear wheels with large brake drums like the 26-7 models. When I built my shooting brake and extended the frame a foot rather than cutting a foot out of the driveshaft so I could fit a KC Warford, I had splash aprons custom made to the extended length. With a 2' extension, the usual tight T turning circle will be greatly enlarged.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:35 am:

Peter K, I thought about that one when I was looking at the photo above. I saw it once on a Blossom Tour (an annual regional tour held every year for many years by the Santa Clara Valley Horseless Carriage Club). Harry Johnson was a well known early antique automobile hobby supporter, past president of the HCCA, and although I never really knew him, he seemed to be a very nice fellow. That T sedan of his was gorgeous! He had quite a collection of his own. I have no idea where this sedan ended up.
There were a few different companies that offered such after-market bodies for the model T Ford and other cars. Any one of several of them, from a Ford, or even other car, is likely what is on that truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 05:12 am:

Wayne, I was lucky enough to meet Harry. I wrote to him asking if I could view his sedan when I was in Reno as I had arranged with Harrah's museum to check out their Lamsteed kamper.

He came to the airport to pick my wife and myself up to take us to our hotel. The day we left LA to fly to Reno there was a heavy snow storm and we had to circle for a couple of hours. Finally we were able to land ( only flight to do so that night) and Harry had been waiting for a long time when we got there.

When we went out to the car park his car had over 6" of snow over it he had been there so long.

He managed to get us to our hotel but we were not able to get to see the Model T as where he lived was snowbound and he ended up trapped there for longer than we had in Reno.

Luckily Harrah's museum was open next day and I was able to measure the Kamper and take photo's which enabled me to build it when we got back to Australia.

The other example I mentioned on the New Hampshire tour I also saw at Hersey in a tent one year which was then for sale the price from memory was $35,000, a lot at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 06:13 am:

Peter K, Thank you for the additional tales. There were, and still are, so many incredible people in the antique automobile hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

Wayne,
As I mentioned the second car with a similar body I thought some may be interested.
I remembered that it was photographed and appeared as a centerfold in the Vintage Ford magazine after the NH tour. It is owned by Doug and Bill Magee.

The builder of this body is the Kimble Piano Co of Chicago, The notes say it was the only one made by them, so Harry's body although similar was by someone else. I personally like the oval window style more than the Magee car.
Magee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

These things are more common than one would have thought.
I went to put the Vintage ford copy back in the bookcase and as I did I noticed the issue next to it has this on the front cover.

This is Harry's Model T. The body was made by the Storm Buggy Co in Fostoria Ohio.

The notes say it was then owned by Kirk Wright of Scottsdale AZ and is now part of the Snynder's Auto Auto collection.
Storm Body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

These things are more common than one would have thought.
I went to put the Vintage Ford copy back in the bookcase and as I did I noticed the issue next to it has this on the front cover.

This is Harry's Model T. The body was made by the Storm Buggy Co in Fostoria Ohio.

The notes say it was then owned by Kirk Wright of Scottsdale AZ and is now part of the Snynder's Auto Auto collection.
Storm Body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

At Last! Maybe the first bitsa' car. Great picture. JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 11:44 am:

I don't know anything more about this photo such as the location. This wasn't a paper photo that I re-photographed or something I found on the net. It simply landed on my smartphone while searching something unrelated. For this reason, I almost didn't post because I thought ahh, everyone must have seen it already. Obviously that was not the case and look at the interest it generated . Lesson here, when in doubt, post it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 11:46 am:

I don't know anything more about this photo such as the location. This wasn't a paper photo that I re-photographed or something I found on the net. It simply landed on my smartphone while searching something unrelated. For this reason, I almost didn't post because I thought ahh, everyone must have seen it already. Obviously that was not the case and look at the interest it generated . Lesson here, when in doubt, post it!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration