Squeaky Rocky Mountain style brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Squeaky Rocky Mountain style brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 04:31 pm:

I have a Model T era car with outside drum brakes similar to the Rockies on my Ts. They squeal something awful when normal pressure is applied. Is there a different band material used on steel drums than on cast drums. This material has small brass fibers imbedded in it. Should I get a different material for the bands?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 04:55 pm:

If you still have lots of friction material left on the bands, you might try sanding the surfaces of the bands and drums, that might remove the surface glaze and quiet things for a while.

I have not had any squealing problems with the "green gripper" lining material for my AC brakes that I got from Chaffin's. It is green (go figure) and has brass fibers running through it.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 05:03 pm:

Bud Williams sells a molded material for his Rocky Mountain re-pops that does not squeal but it is really temperamental and if ANY oil AT ALL gets on it, it dissolves into a goo. Most woven lining has a brass thread in it and is usually used for truck parking brakes on drive shafts and not for stopping because of its nature of making a noise at speed. If you could get a solid cast materiel and have it bonded to your lining you could reduce the noise. Remember that brake drums have been used for dinner bells for well over a hundred years for a reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

Mark, you are right on that one. We had some clutch disks made for our two cylinder 1906 Moline with a dry disc clutch outside of the planetary transmission and it lasted a long time. It was green just like the material Chaffin's Garage sells.

Moline

engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:30 am:

squeeling is the nature of the beast! I can remember hearing brakes squeel when I was just a boy and when we played with cars, we squeeled whenever we pretended to stop. There was a stop sign about half a block away and almost every car squeeled, especially the Model T's.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:39 am:

Do you know where your cat is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:41 am:

I just live with it and if I hear them squeal at least I know they are doing something. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Correll - Carlsbad CA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:11 pm:

I agree with Mark G. & Norman. Let'em squeal. It reminds me that they are working and announces our approach to an intersection. I consider it a T "feature" and not a bug. SKREEEEEEEEEEECH!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

How about calling them outside brakes? No brake can be Rocky Mountain style except real Rocky Mountain brakes!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration