22 T Touring car steering issue--

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 22 T Touring car steering issue--
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Brett, Oak Park, Calif. on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

my 22 T touring has sat for about 3 months, and now I noticed my steering is STIFF- very stiff. I think it may be bushings need to be oiled, could it also be steering gears on the steering column? I dont want to drive it like this....... its dangerous! Tires have 60#s in them- a forum opinion would be more than welcome here! Thanx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:37 am:

I would go around oiling things and pop the steering gear cover. Clean, inspect and then grease if all looked ok. Maybe jack the front end up and try moving the steering wheel and checking to see if you can figure out where it's binding ? good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Brett, Oak Park, Calif. on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:04 am:

Thanx Tom!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 05:20 am:

Don't forget the steering bracket down on the frame and you might want to take a look at the balls on the drag link and pitman arm too. If it is as stiff as you say, that means something is galling, and you don't want that on anything that has to do with the steering...you might want to replace the ball caps with brass ones, because it is a bearing material, but do grease every bloody thing and especially those king pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:02 am:

Have you done any work recently on the front end? If the king pins are pulled up too tight it can put a bind on the steering. There should be a small amount of clearance between the bottom bushing and bottom yoke (more on some with a few miles under there belt!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

Steve, you can isolate different parts to see where the stiffness resides. Start by taking the pitman arm off to see if it is in the front axle or the shaft and gears at the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Brett, Oak Park, Calif. on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

this weekend......thanks everyone!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration