Foot Warmers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Foot Warmers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:53 am:

Wrong time of year for THIS discussion, but I found a foot warmer in an antique store yesterday. My wife has been wanting one, so I bought it for her. Have any of you ever used one of these? It said something about burning coal. Could you use charcoal? How hot do they get? It is wrapped in a sort of carpet. I assume if it doesn't burn THAT carpet, it won't hurt the carpet on the floor of my A. What about rubber floor mats in the T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 09:26 am:

There was a discussion several months back regarding these. It began as a forum member had bought one at an antique mall. The consensus was all over the place in regards to it's use. If I can find the link I'll post it. I have never owned one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 09:52 am:

I have one made by the Clark Company. Clark supplied fuel blocks for them. I have some of the fuel but have never tried to light one. I do keep the heater, with a fuel block in the back floorboard of our 21 Touring for show and tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 09:54 am:

Watch ebay. There is a seller that specializes in this type of foot warmer. I think he restored them. He is located in Lisle, IL. Sorry, I don't know his name

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:32 am:

Thanks all. I'll look for the past thread as well. I think the 'coal' thing came from the price tag on a string that the cashier removed when I paid. There is a name on it, but I'll have to look closer to see what it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:40 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/132057.html
Start here Hal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:51 am:

This might be more friendly to use than charcoal
https://www.amazon.com/Esbit-1300-Degree-Smokeless-Backpacking-Emergency/dp/B005 NGMJLY/ref=pd_bxgy_468_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B005NGMJLY&pd_rd_r=66f36e57- 6fea-11e8-83f9-01153357ec84&pd_rd_w=bQOWs&pd_rd_wg=RglI2&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims &pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3914568618330124508&pf_rd_r=EQSGBTZJM38NWPN91CPB& pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=EQSGBTZJM38NWPN91CPB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

The Esbit tabs burn with a flame like Sterno. The stuff used in foot warmers just glows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

Looks like there are some modern solid fuel hand and foot warmers. Maybe that fuel can be adapted. I've not dug too deep into it. But may be a viable solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 06:42 am:

I am away from home right now or I would show a pic of the fuel "bricks" supplied by Clark. I believe the instructions state that a complete brick "burns" for about 12 hours and I understand that it was common practice to break them into smaller pieces when a full brick was not needed. I have heard them called buggy heaters. They predate our Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 07:29 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 07:43 am:

The "Foot Warmer" covered in carpet shown by Mr Clark was fairly common in my day, we put live coals in them from the fire place, and my Grandmother would sit in front of the fire at night. We kids slept in pallets on the floor mostly, we used either one of the red clay bricks or mostly a flat limestone rock, some times wrapped in a piece of old sheet or just bare, worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 05:06 pm:

These should work and you don't need to light them! :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

Carriage heaters are very common up here in Minnesota - I see them all the time at antique shops, swap meets and estate sales. (The last one I saw was at an estate sale a week ago - it had the carbon brick in the drawer.)

Many of them look NOS/never used and include an unused carbon brick.

They're not rare and not worth much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

The fuel "brick" was compressed coal dust. I think small chunks of coal would work if you lit them evenly all around in a hot fire (embers) first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 11:25 pm:

I've often wondered about these being used in a "closed car" back in the day. Some of the period advertisements even show these being used in such a car. I would think that any combustible of size no matter how slow burning would give off enough carbon monoxide to cause problems, especially in a relatively small enclosed area. I realize a "closed" T is not air tight.... but still. Any thoughts guys?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 06:24 pm:

My A is not air tight enough to worry about, as evidenced by the steady stream of cold air coming in from low down in the cowl, up behind the interior cowl panels and exiting into the passenger compartment just below the windshield. Of course not this time of year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

Puts out just enough heat too keep frost off windshield and Mom's feet toasty. Lord knows that if Mom is not nobody will be happy. Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 11:58 am:

ITS my memory the foot warmers started out to be used in the buggy days,I'm 80 and they were around long before me,it also is my memory that coals from the stove were put in the tray a little while before it was needed,by the time ole dobbin was harness'd ready for the trip to church it was quite warm,after the service was through dad would reload the warmer with good hot coals from the stove at church.when the mechanical cockroach's came along with no heaters, this device found a new use,and the wood coals [depending]on the kind of wood being used smelled good too.the one I have there is a lid that covers the tray when its closed,its large enough to hold a good supply of coals.now you handle this in a way as not to tip it,and it was safe.there was a bed warmer years back that you filled with coals and swished it around the cold sheets just before you jumped in,we never had one of them,we had two stoves,the kitchen was kept all nite the parlor was let out at 730,after the last news broadcast,there was a jacob wind charger on the roof that kept a battery charged for the philco radidio,boy would I love to go back and listen to some of those programs. sorry to ramble on but memories are there to enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

Memories are great Richard ! We had a Philco Radio in the corner of the living room. It was something to listen to The Shadow, The Lone Ranger, Amos and Andy and all the others. My kids
gave me a set of cassette tapes long ago with
a bunch of old radio programs. Maybe they are
still available in some fashion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 12:04 am:

Gordon, did your philco have the [GREEN EYE]? that came together when you were dialed in? there were four of us brats,mom would do the tuning.my favorite was digger Odell,the friendly undertaker.they say our talks should be hobby related, we had a 28 ford sed,the heater was a tube on passenger side with a door you lifted for the hot air,during mud season when Gerty was pulling hard through the ruts the air was good and hot.and it stunk too.real cold weather dad would run the spark lever up a little this helped with the heat,he would rub tabaco from his pipe on the windshield to keep it so he could see where he was headed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration