Sludge in gas tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Sludge in gas tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:13 am:

Just picked up a 26 that has been is storage since 2002. There is about 1/4" of "sludge" in gas tank as previous owner let the gas in tank evaporate. Aware I must drop the tank but what do I use to liquify the sludge and they to coat the interior. I then think I should use "gas tank etch" then the "gas tank sealer" or might someone have a better idea? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:15 am:

Acetone will do the trick, but be careful as it is nasty stuff to handle and dispose. Also flammable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:39 am:

Some radiator shops "boil" out gas tanks in a hot tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:52 am:

Lacquer thinner also works. You are going to need to get the tank a lot cleaner to do any coating on the inside then just using acetone or lacquer thinner. As it is unless the tank is badly rusted I would start by just adding a couple of gal. of ether and let it soak for a while. Rock it around every so often and drain. Let the stuff you used settle and reuse the cleaner stuff or add new. Of course don't forget to plug where the valve goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:56 am:

Oh! Some might suggest mounting on a wheel and turning with rocks or such inside, my OP is, because of the baffles inside you are only cleaning part of the tank between the baffles. The boiling out at a radiator shop would work but the process removes the tern(sp) coating and you would need to seal the inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

Thanks to you all for the hints

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 01:20 pm:

I use Muriatic acid to etch tanks. Thinner and acetone I've had no luck with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 02:35 pm:

That shouldn't be to hard a job to do. I think I would use the approach Mark G. Recommends. Softening up the sludge is the first step. After it starts getting softer use a pressure washer to help remove the sludge and then let it soak some more and shake , rinse and repeat the process and pressure wash it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

I've found a radiator shop that hot tank the fuel tank, then lines the tank with an ethanol resistant liner. Wasn't expensive either. I think it was $65.00 if I remember correctly. You do have to paint the outside of the tank after. Also I recommend you have the shop tape off the threads for the filler cap before the liner is applied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 03:58 pm:

I just got my tank back from a tank shop and it set me back $225 for cleaning (the inside was awful), patching, sealing, and painting. Not a small amount of money but not crippling either. Iím absolutely floored by now much better my T runs now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:26 pm:

By the way I have done the Lacquer thinner on a Model A tank that had not one but two different layers of gunk from old gas. I dumped in two gals and every so often would rock the car. Got most of it out doing it that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 09:50 am:

Tim..glad your T is running better, but hate to tell you, you could've gotten a brand new one from Rootliebs in the $160 area. And yes, they do have
them in stock. I checked on one for a friend not long ago. Just sayin'!

Sounds like John Z got a good deal though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

Yes Tim I did get a good deal. It took quite a bit of time to clean the threads for the filler cap and sediment bulb (26 Tank) and I did the painting myself. Could be that was why the charge wasn't high. Could have been $85, but I know it was under a hundred dollars. Still a great deal for the work performed. They even cut two small holes for a scope to make sure everything inside was coated and then soldered the holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

Tim Wrenn, as far as I knew nobody was making a cowl tank for a Ď26, but in any case Iíd have broken about even on a new one once you factor in exchange rate and shipping. I did think about just getting a cheapie dune buggy tank and throwing it in the box but Iím glad I didnít.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration