Feeling down

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Feeling down
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:31 am:

This has been a hard week here. I know a lot of people have it tough or worse but sometime I wonder just how to keep moving. With out going into details or whining I am disabled and some days are painful and some I can't remember. This morning I woke and thought it was time for some fun.

I pulled the T out and hit the places I been meaning to get to for the past two weeks. Lawnmower Gas, the ATM, Napa for antifreeze now that my radiator no longer leaks. Then on the last stretch, a long slope up hill back to home.

Every where I went people came up askeing questions and related personal stories. What a wonderful morning. The people I met were great. What a way to forget pain and just smile.

In the end I blew the head gasket coming up the hill to home but I'd do it all over again because it was fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:54 am:

James, nice looking little T and great pics! Sorry your outing ended badly but it seems breakdowns are just part of owning a 90 year old car. I always have a feeling of relief when I turn into my drive but it's fun while it lasts and that makes it worth while. I like your bumpers and your "visibility"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:49 am:

James that is what its all about. I use mine for anything I can. The wife and I have been to dinner twice this week in the T. If I need gas for mower, T time. Horse feed, T time. Go to bank, T time. You will be on the road in no time! Great photos by the way.
Drive safe and often!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:00 pm:

I like it....the car and the story.

Fortunately, on a T, a head gasket isn't a deal breaker.

Man oh man, I can't wait for mine to be on the road so I can run errands in it. I want that so bad it hurts. I run errands in my 66 F100 currently and it certainly garners its share of smiles and conversation, but nothing like a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

And, for what it's worth, your 24 is perfect.

It's my opinion (worth what you paid for it) that T's just don't look as good when they're perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

I'm with Don--looks just right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:23 pm:

Before we retired, the T's were our go to choice for errands. We lived in a warm climate and fairly rural so it was pretty much year round. Happy that despite the head gasket you had a great day :-) As others posted, a great little T and I applaud your choice for visibility

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

Looks great, great story. I like driving mine to the local Cracker Barrel for supper then down the road to Brewsters Ice cream...... I'll stop now I'm getting hungry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 01:59 pm:

Hey Jim, sounds like peripheral neuropathy pain ??? If so, welcome to the club, 14 years for me !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 02:30 pm:

Jim, you have a sweet ride there, I agree with what was said before a blown head gasket isn't a deal breaker, just a good excuse for a couple guys to gather and shoot the bull...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

New head gasket on the way. Should be ready to go in a week. I swear I met more of my neighbors this morning just messing with the T in the drive than I have in the past 10 years.

My pain is from complications of LYME disease in the brain. Some weeks are good others are horrible.

And Don, the only other vehicle I own is a F100, 1970. Runs like factory new accept the A.C. I never fixed it never saw a reason to. I spent the extra savings on a good 8 track player and the skills to rebuild the tapes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

James, thats back when a truck was still a truck, not a luxury van with a bed too short to use. I like it. I have a hard time finding a work truck with standard cab and 8ft bed. I refuse to buy new so it takes a while to find one. My last one was 6 years old with 8500 miles. Got lucky on that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

JAMES,YOUR THE KIND OF MAN ID LIKE AS A FRIEND,LOOK AT IT THIS WAY, your little FORD knew you got the antifreeze, it did you a favor by blowing a gasket before you winterized it.how bout that.have a wonderfull day,don't for git to blow the bolt holes out before installing new bolts.GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

I hear you. Been going though sciatica pain now for three weeks and having to work my regular job in pain most of the time. Interestingly the pain is much less when I'm driving my T than a regular car. I think it has to do with the angle of my foot on the pedals and the slight vibration of the T .. actually therapeutic o so many levels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

Boy, I wish there were more like you, James. We all gripe about young people not getting into the hobby, but I believe that if we all got our cars out there in every day situations on a regular basis it could only benefit the general public's awareness of these wonderful cars. Most folks are totally ignorant about these cars, or that you can even drive them!

HCCA has a very good recruiting brochure that could be handed to people showing interest. It answers questions about the old car hobby and promotes the good things about the hobby. But nothing does it better than guys like you! Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

I love the truck James. There's nothing quite like an old pickup truck for just messing around in....ok, maybe a Model T.

Here's mine.

Straight six...three on the tree. Rubber floormat...no radio. Just plain truck goodness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 09:24 pm:

Geez guys, my 05 has more rust than those trucks! Livin up north we get better fuel milage tho. Our trucks get lighter every year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

James, What are you doing with that modern gas jug on the running board? Donít you know it wonít properly rust? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:55 pm:

Man oh man James, you have it pegged! Fun makes the pain go away for awhile. :-)
Glad you had a great day! Blowing the gasket is trivial ya?
When we are smiling, the rest of world around us smiles too!
We all forge ahead! OK, sometimes trundle/hobble ahead... :-)
You guys that have bigger troubles are always an inspiration!
Yesterday afternoon I finally got my motor grader running (injection pump and old fuel) as it should and I was literally jumping up and down, partly to excite one of my grandsons who was up in the cab covering his ears, learning the Diesel throttle but I was damn excited too!
I'm 54 and just don't jump up and down without consequence! :-) Wait, I wasn't on a concrete floor. Yessss!!!! :-)
The 65 year old Galion nearly beat them down the driveway when they went home! No brakes! I graded the road really bad (it was worse) then put it to rest after some more love (maintenance).
I found out this morning that foolishness pert-near killed me!
Haha! Back at it!
Babbling again. Nice pickups! Up here, those are barn finds found from a fella that sprayed oil under the truck every year!
My old (67-72) Chevrolets had rugs by the doors to keep the heat in and the XXXX out.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:30 am:

My 53 F100 was too far gone when I bought it in 1973, I was young single and had a little extra cash in my pocket, so it is not stock by any means, but it is a fun driver...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 03:31 pm:

Aní Iím not getting my incredibly cute Shih Tzu certified as a ĎTherapy Dogí......like you James; I have a ĎTherapy Model Tí

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

Therapy starts with T. Coincidence; I think not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Nice Wes.....I'm like you....I like all kinds of old cars.

I do, however, like pre-war cars best when they're mostly stock. They seem to have more charm that way.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration