12 volt battery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 12 volt battery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Van Cott on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 03:40 pm:

Can I use a 12 volt battery to start my 1914 in the coil box battery position? Thanks, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

12 volts just to buzz the coils? I donít see why not. The magneto at full RPM puts out over thirty, IIRC. If youíve converted to an electric start hogshead then 12v can be hazardous to your starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

John,
Yes you can use a 12 volt battery to fire the coils making it easier to start a hand cranked car. Just donít let the coil cycle continuously. This Iíll heat up the primary winding and cause the tar to ooze out.
Brent Mize
The Coil Doctor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

When Brent said,
"just don't let the coil cycle continuously"
I'm sure he meant when the engine is not running and leaving the ignition on.
T's start and run fine on 12v all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

My car (with no mag) runs way better on 12v than it does on 6.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Van Cott on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:08 pm:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, I appreciate your response! John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 12:17 am:

My buddies TT has big alligator clips on the "battery" wires up in the cab. He uses the battery from his 18V cordless drill to fire it.
Then switches to mag. If it's behaving. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

I've been using small 12 volt batteries for years to help me start my '13s. They work much better than a 6 volt. They are slightly bigger than a Model T coil.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration