Help needed mounting tire on split rim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Help needed mounting tire on split rim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:02 pm:

Need some help mounting a tire on my split rim 21".

I have a rim spreader, and mount it with arms equal distance from the split, and the single arm across from them. I crank the handle, and the rim just moves so that the bolt hole is almost moved enough so I can put in the bolt, but not quite. The crank gets very hard to crank at this point, and the rim won't spread any more.

I have tried it in other positions, same thing happens.

Ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:13 pm:

Are both beads of the tire in the centre of the rim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:42 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0PFSgAt06w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:44 pm:

Use your model t jack between the lugs on either side of the split to expand the rim. You don't need anything more than that to expand rim and latch or screw the connection. Rim 'spreaders' work better for collapsing than expanding in my experience. And you can really do serious damage to an otherwise good rim by overdoing. Best of luck,jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Turns out the tire flap was caught between the rim and bead :-). Luckily no damage caused by my attempts.

Do have another question however. I got the rim all good to go and latched up, but upon bolting into place on the felloe, one of the sides of the rim has it's lip bent inwards? Other side is fine.

Does this have to be fixed? I'd rather not have to take the rim off again... But will if it is needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

Tube not inflated, if it makes a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

Those ends should be butted together. Maybe something is bent or it wasn't spread quite wide enough. Sorry, but you will have trouble if you drive it that way. I don't know where you got your rim spreader, but they were made in different sizes for different make cars. I once bought one at a swap meet and it was too short to work with Model T rims.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

This is the universal rim spreader... think they came in the tool kits, or at least were the most popular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

Let the air down a little and knock the rim flush with a hammer. I use a big zip tie to compress the rim and a screw driver to spread it back out.
I did 4 this past weekend. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

Thanks Philip. Tube has no air so I'll try a hammer tomorrow. If no improvement. I'll remove the rim.

Thanks guys

Once again this happened AFTER mounting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:49 pm:

Not to hijack your thread John, but can anyone explain the reasoning behind why they made split rims? They seem to be a hassle to most who own them compared to the regular demountables? Were they intended to be easier to mount?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 12:17 am:

John, it is the tyres with wire beads and straight sides which led to improvements in wheel rims. They are far superior to clinchers in construction and could be run at lower pressures, resulting in a better ride.
The split rim was one way these tyres could be fitted. Another was the flat base rims and lock rings as used on TT's at the rear, and on trucks right up to the development of tubeless tyres. Both these methods have their drawbacks.
Once well based rims were developed, like the wire wheels on 26-7 T's and all later Fords, there was then no need for split rims, although lockring types continued on heavy vehicles for much longer.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 08:09 am:

The problem is not in the rim spreaders; it’s in the lack of surviving instructions as to its usage. I’ve posted several times on this Forum that you use the single screw leg ‘bird beak’ of the rim spreader on the split end containing the flat steel connecting strap TO REMOVE THE TIRE. Then, after repair and you want to mount the rim, you turn the rim spreader 180 degrees and place the ‘bird beak’ end exactly OPPOSITE the split. Then the ends will simply glide over each other into bolt-mounting position......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 09:21 am:

George, that's what I did and it worked perfectly. Once again, it did this after being mounted...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

Loosened the lug nut closest to the split and got a hammer. Rim sprung back into position perfectly and it's all good again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

Glad to see you got it straightened out John. And thank you Allan for the explanation.

(Message edited by JP_noonan on June 15, 2018)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration