Spoke question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Spoke question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

Copied a new spoke from a vendor. The 15* end is the same length as the vendors, if not a fraction longer. The small curved end on the spokes lack about a 1/16 touching the hub. Is this OK? The spokes are very tight in the fellow. This is my first wheel and I no idea what I'm doing. Thanks for the help, as always.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:19 pm:

Did you get the correct spokes for the rim? On wheel takes spokes just a little longer. I don't have the catalog in front of me to look which one. You should have to press them in with the hub installed, with that much space does not look like you did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Hub should fit tight in the spokes. I think you have too much width to the tapper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Looks good to me.
Itís best to have the spoke touching the hub, that why the spokes are pushed in with the hub in place. I have added shims to the 15 degree end to tighten up a used set of spokes. This will reduce the pressure between the spoke and hub, but they still seem to hold up quite well. I fixed a wheel for a guy on a cross country run about five years ago. The same wheel was on the Redwoods tour and it still tests as solid.
It is also important to ensure that opposite spokes line up with each other to avoid the spokes rotating when in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

If you want to reduce the space between the hub and spokes, you could add 0.030Ē shim (veneer) to the 15 degree end that touch the hub. The shim can be glued on and after 24 hours it will be very solid and will most probably withstand the demands of the press.
Another less desirable option would be to hammer shims into the existing wheel between the hub and spoke.
Still others fill the whole thing with epoxy, I donít like that but it seems to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 12:07 am:

Bob, if you take a smidgeon of each side of the taper, the spokes will make a smaller circle at the hub and the ends may then contact the hub as they should. However, that will leave the spokes a little short at the tenon end, which may be what is behind Mark's question.
The spokes which fit wheels that take rims with fixed lugs are slightly shorter than those used in wheels with loose lugs. This is because the felloe on a fixed lug wheel is slightly smaller in inside diameter.
The fellow in New Zealand who does excellent work re-poking all kind of wheels makes his spokes longer than necessary, assembles them into the felloe, and then bores the hole to take the hub. That way he is assured of the best fit.
If I had your problem I would make a metal sleeve to fit the hub and take out the gap you have that way.
Hope this helps.
Allan from dow2n under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 12:29 am:

I have made about 10 sets of spokes for wood fellows wheels and they are finished to full length and after installed I bore the center out, the standard boring saws today are slightly smaller than the hub diameter, then I would finish the hole with a Dremel sanding drum to a press fit. With out the spokes resting on the hub all the stress will be on the hub bolts. Not everything is perfect in this world specially with a 100 year old part. I would shim the hub to assure a tight fit and enjoy the ride

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 07:12 pm:

Bob,

No, that's not O.K. Shim the hub to make a press fit, as others have suggested.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration