Type of lites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Type of lites
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

I often here people talk about lighting their acetylene lights , do they mean carbide lights, or can carbide lights be use as a acetylene lite, I was lead to believe you can but you are trying to cause a explosion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 04:52 pm:

Carbide lights is another term for are acetylene lights.

You can manufacture the acetylene gas with water and calcium carbide via a running board mounted generator or purchase the acetylene gas already loaded in a Prestolite tank and mount the tank to the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 04:54 pm:

Water dripping on carbide rocks produces acetylene gas in a carbide or acetylene generator. So, they open the headlamp doors and light the acetylene gas with a match.... preferably a stylish fireplace foot long match. ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 04:56 pm:

Oh shoot !! Erik was typing 2 minutes fasterín me !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:56 pm:

The lamps burn low pressure acetylene gas. They don't care where the gas came from. In different parts of the country and the world, these lamps may be referred to as "carbide lamps", "acetylene lamps", or "gas lamps". That last one (gas lamps) can be a bit more confusing because in some parts of the world, "gas lamps" refers to lamps that burn "natural gas".
Ain't linguistics fun!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 02:07 am:

Eugene
I light my No name E&J 666 headlamps on my 1911 touring. I run them off a Prest-o-Lite tank. Cleaning the residue out of an acetylene generator is a task I do not enjoy.
Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration