Gen issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Gen issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Got a T in the shop you know one of them new ones with a generator.
Here my problem
Gen reads dis charge liggt horn ect
But when running no charge.
I moved the adjustble brush it charged for a few mins and stopped
Could it be the cutout witch is new repop any ideas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 12:29 am:

Replaced the cutout with a barrowed one seems that was it
No wonder i never had one of those new one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

I prefer the diode regulator as it relies just on electrons not magnetism, 90 year old contacts and voodoo. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

If that car has a voltage regulator (can look like a cutout) it will charge for a short time then go back to zero or almost zero when the battery is fully charged. If you turn on the lights while the engine is running at a fast idle or running about 30 MPH and the ammeter goes to zero, it is probably a voltage regulator, but if it shows discharge with the lights on and running at about 35, you have a problem with the generator or cutout.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

Your "cutout" could have been a voltage regulator. There are some voltage regulators that look just like a cutout. If you are running about 30 mph and turn on the lights and your ammeter reads near zero you could have a regulator. Normally with a cutout the ammeter would go to discharge with the lights on unless you have the generator brush set for a very high charge.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration