Is this a potential poormans rajio

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Is this a potential poormans rajio
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 08:55 am:

Doing chores for a friend this past week taking care of
His 4 mustangs/ horses not cars.
Anyhow he was showing me around the farm and inside
The milkhouse sits this motor and trans and up in the rafters
Is the radiator and gas tank so I am wondering if this is
The chev. Head used for overhead valve conversion?
Any help appreciated.
JimChev. MotorChev.motor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 10:05 am:

Yes. It's RAJO :-)
My project is turning in to a lot more work then I expected, esp the carburetor part. Will it be worth it, I hope so if for no other reason then the I did it factor. :-) My cost/$$ will be still be under what a bare T overhead head would sell for.
You could also use the crank and rods in the T block with some work. I have a set of used .060 over Egge pistons that need bushings installed for the Chevrolet wrist pins (someone opened them up for some other wrist pins) when using the Chevrolet crank and rods.
Bottom line this would not be a bolt on and go project. If you are installing in a car/truck you have to cut a big clearance hole in the firewall. The size depends on if you have custom header made or if you use the Chevrolet exhaust manifold. On the carb side, you can't use an updraft carb as the steering column is in the way so you need a fuel pump. I shortened the runners on the intake and still did not have enough room to go with an updraft. This also precludes using the hand throttle with out major redesign so have to use foot feed.
Ok this might give you some ideas of things that need to be worked out when installing in a car.
In a speedster, well it's all custom anyway. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 10:37 am:

Jim:
yes that is the preferred cylinder head for the "poormans rajo" conversion a 1928 Chevrolet 2 port head ( 2 intake , 2 exhaust ) this being a complete engine and transmission unit may be of more interest to someone restoring a Chevrolet also , this engine is a great performer IF you raise the compression always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

Thanks gene and mark I won't be using it myself but I'll
Ask hem if he would consider selling it I'll put it on the
Classifides if if it's available.
Thanks Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 03:21 pm:

I did some generator repairs a few years ago for a guy that bought a 28 chevy that was partly restored.He street rodded the car,:-( and he traded me the rebuilt engine and transmission for the work.I was supposed to get the wheels and axles for some work later and he never came thru :-(
There is a 28 chevy chassis and running gear about 1100 feet from where i am typing I have been trying to get for years. If I got it I was going to put this engine in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 03:50 pm:

Can't we just call it what it is - a "Chevy" head - I get a bit jaded (2 : made dull, apathetic, or cynical by experience or by having or seeing too much of something) when those are referred to as a "poorman's rajo" - they're not even close fella's !!!

"Flame-On" folks !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Hansen on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 05:01 pm:

Steve ,Chevrolet design the Frontenac overhead conversion for Model T so in a sense the Chevy overhead conversion should be called a poor man's Frontenac. Mark my 26 Roadster pickup with the conversion is using the Carter carburetor gravity fed controlled by the hand throttle with very minor modifications the Chevrolet 2 Port exhaust manifold angles just right to run the pipe down under the firewall and straight out the back same as Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 06:20 pm:

For less money and trouble you could install a Sherman head, a big fan and big carb and make more power. There were several flathead speedsters over 40up at the last speedster reunion.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 06:50 pm:

Not my first rodeo, Karl - check out my profile shot !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 09:01 pm:

Karl;
Your 26 has a much different fire wall then a 25 back, also you have in the cowl tank. But thanks for the added info, didn't think about 26/27.
Andy;
Maybe so but that just a bolt on head. :-) No fun in that if you make your own plate and it still would not have the cool factor of an overhead.
Steve;
100% behind what you said, but the die has been cast and we are stuck with Poormans Rajo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

I don't think it is a real problem. But it does bother me some that vintage Chevrolet owners can have a bit of a problem getting a head if they need one for their four cylinder Chevrolet because hundreds of these heads are hoarded by people hoping to one day get it set up on their model T. Still and again, it was a modification done at least a few times way back in the day, although there are probably more such equipped model Ts running today than were in 1927.

The "cool factor" may be worth something. But I remember Vic Sala had a T racing car years ago that with a Sherman head, dual ignition, and big carburetor would outrun most Rajo and Frontenac headed cars. In Calastoga one year, a special halftime show was put on where Vic in his blue race car raced against a modern high powered sprint car. The driver of the sprint car had held the track record lap time and was considered one of the best around. It was set up as a show where the modern car would leave the old T behind and on the last turn spin out allowing the T to win the Tortoise and Hare race. The problem was that Vic had raced semi-professionally back in the day and when his blood got going? HE RACED! When it came time to spin out, Vic was a bit close for comfort, but being one of the best, the sprint driver did a beautiful spin with Vic slipping by close on the inside.
When the sprint car driver drove into the pit area (where I was watching all this), he got out of his car exclaiming "I couldn't get away from the guy! I could not get AWAY from him! I did everything I could and he kept right on my tail!"
Vic had been clocked at 31 seconds for the slightly over half mile dirt oval. The modern sprint car record at that time was about 26 seconds. Nobody clocked Vic on that run, but I sure wish someone had. I would almost bet Vic's best time on those few laps was about 28 seconds. Mere seconds behind the best of the modern big tire big engine high power sprint cars. It was a sight to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

I love Vic sala stories. I am glad I got to meet him once

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

Vic truly was one of the great ones! I was just a kid. A nobody. But a mutual friend introduced us, and for the rest of his days, Vic treated me like a longtime friend. I really felt blessed by that. There were several times, I would go to a swap meet, and be digging though boxes of junk. Vic would walk up behind me and give me a nudge (one time he almost pushed me face first into a box of rust). I would turn around and he would be grinning and make some comment (always friendly!), and we would chat for several minutes. One time, we talked for quite a bit, and I became aware of some fellow standing off to the side, kind of watching as Vic and I swapped stories. After we said our "see ya later" the fellow walked over to me (a know nothing kid) and says "You KNOW Vic Sala?!"
Vic was wonderful good people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 03:26 am:

Haha if that close to functional i'd be tempted to build a car around the whole thing. It's not ford but it's a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 09:23 am:

People have mounted the Chevrolet engine to the Model T pan and transmission. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration